I Need Help Getting Mmf Grey

Baking By shdvl Updated 13 May 2011 , 1:04am by shdvl

shdvl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shdvl Posted 12 May 2011 , 8:35pm
post #1 of 8

I used a few drops of black food coloring in the marshmellows before I added teh powdered sugar but now its got a purple tint to it. Its resting right now but I can't waste an entire batch when I need to make 1 more batche to cover cake and the cake board for a skateboard halfpipe I have to finish. I don't mind the tint but its really more lavendar than a concrete gray which is what I am looking for. I used Mccormicks black the first time. should I try to add some black Wilton's gel after is sits a bit?

7 replies
Scarlets-Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scarlets-Cakes Posted 12 May 2011 , 8:38pm
post #2 of 8

I use AmeriGel's Super Black and haven't had a problem. But letting it rest for a while is wise, as the color will deepen. Good luck!

shdvl Posted 12 May 2011 , 8:50pm
post #3 of 8

Of course I don't have any Amerigel colors yet as this is a hobby. Hope the Wiltons gel will work.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 12 May 2011 , 9:15pm
post #4 of 8

If you're starting with white MMF, - color it with 2 or 3 dark colors first (brown, green, blue)...you don't need a lot, just a drop or two.
Once you blend it together, add black to whatever nasty shade you've just created.

THAT black mixed with white (to make gray), won't change color.

dchinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchinda Posted 12 May 2011 , 9:16pm
post #5 of 8

I have heard that yellow can off purple since they are two different colors on the color wheel. I would recommend adding just a touch of yellow to see if it will remove the purple tint. I have had tons of issues with the Wilton black either having a purple or green tint. Americolor works better & is pretty similar in pricing.

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 12 May 2011 , 9:27pm
post #6 of 8

I had this same problem, I assumed a drop of black would make grey, but I got purple. I googled it, and found the same advice that dchinda just said. It suggested using two opposite colours on the colour wheel, and you'll get grey. So I added some yellow to my already purple'ish fondant, and that worked out well.

ang2953 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ang2953 Posted 12 May 2011 , 10:09pm
post #7 of 8

I had to add a few drops of yellow to mine after adding black to get grey. But worked great. I used the wilton colors.

shdvl Posted 13 May 2011 , 1:04am
post #8 of 8

Thanks ladies, I did add the yellow. Bit too much but it turned a shade of light brown that I can work with. Its for my nephews birthday cake so the ppurple would not have worked icon_biggrin.gif Will get a picture up once I finished it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%