Luster Dust And Marshmallow Fondant

Decorating By orianaklump Updated 13 May 2011 , 9:12am by sweettreat101

orianaklump Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
orianaklump Posted 12 May 2011 , 8:19pm
post #1 of 8

I was asked to do a wedding cake in black and champagne color. I have champagne colored luster dust, if i knead the dust into the fondant will it give the fondant a champagne color? I'm having an issue getting a champange color that I'm happy with. I'd like it to sparkle a bit too. I think it looks elegant with a little sparkle. Help! Please!

7 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 May 2011 , 8:29pm
post #2 of 8

Luster dust isn't made color fondant with, not when you are mixing it in. It is usually used to dust or spray (airbrush with alcohol) the color shimmer on after the fact.

jleigh982 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jleigh982 Posted 12 May 2011 , 8:47pm
post #3 of 8

I did this by mixing wilton gel colors (ivory and a tiny touch of peach) in with the fondant and then after it was on the cake, i "painted it" with a food safe spongebrush and used a lusterdust and alcohol mix...this comes in handy if you dont have an airbrush...which i need to get and FAST lol

morrisaz2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morrisaz2004 Posted 12 May 2011 , 8:48pm
post #4 of 8

Try using a lot of Americolor gel in Ivory. If you look in my gallery, on the second page, you can see my Calla Lily wedding cake and it came out a great champagne color. If you want it to sparkle, use a spray or airbrush to achieve the look. Good luck. icon_smile.gif

orianaklump Posted 12 May 2011 , 8:59pm
post #5 of 8

If I use the ivory color and dust the champagne luster dust over it would that create the shimmery effect I'm going for? Also, I'd like the black to shimmer a bit too, is there a way to do that? There is no such thing as black luster dust, only petal dust....What is the best way to dust a whole cake evenly so there aren't any spots that have more dust than others? Would a blush brush work?

orianaklump Posted 12 May 2011 , 8:59pm
post #6 of 8

If I use the ivory color and dust the champagne luster dust over it would that create the shimmery effect I'm going for? Also, I'd like the black to shimmer a bit too, is there a way to do that? There is no such thing as black luster dust, only petal dust....What is the best way to dust a whole cake evenly so there aren't any spots that have more dust than others? Would a blush brush work?

Kaykaymay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaykaymay Posted 12 May 2011 , 9:09pm
post #7 of 8

You can use super pearl to get the shimmery effect but if you paint it on black with alcohol it would give it a greyish look. So for black either use shortening (for shiny) or brush on the super pearl with a dry brush (for shimmer) or you can use an edible rainbow glitter (for sparkle).

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 13 May 2011 , 9:12am
post #8 of 8

I used real vanilla to color my fondant instead of clear vanilla turned out perfect. You can color fondant pearl glaze with gel colors. You might try mixing in a little black and see if the color works. You brush it on and let it dry for thirty minutes between coats.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%