Indydebi Bc Used To Work For Me But Not Anymore! Pls Help!

Baking By divinecc Updated 16 May 2011 , 8:50pm by calicopurr

divinecc Posted 12 May 2011 , 5:49pm
post #1 of 12

I have used this recipe for the past year and love it. I do change it a little because I don't like it as well with all shortening. I sub 1/3c shortening for butter and also use an off brand shortening with trans fats. With that said lately I have noticed the shortening I use smells and tastes different than it usually does, kind of a weird sweet smell. Anyways, I switched to using crisco and every batch I make turns out with a "curdled" look and it's kind of greasy looking. The process I go through starts with combining all the fats together and mix until really light and fluffy(10-15 min), add my liquid and dream whip (it helps it dissolve better) 1 Tbs at a time, then add vanilla and mix until really fluffy again. During this stage it still doesn't look curdled until I add the powdered sugar. Add PS 2 cups at a time and mix. I thought I was crazy and maybe my butter was too soft so I tried a batch with the off brand shortening with the same box of butter that was left out with the butter I used in the crisco batch. It turned out perfect. Smooth and creamy, just didn't taste very good.

Any idea why it would be different? I have been stewing over this all week. I made 8 batches, 4 with crisco, 4 without. Every batch with crisco failed. I tried decreasing the milk in one of the crisco batches thinking maybe it couldn't hold as much liquid as the off brand with trans fats. Didn't work. I tried adding ps 1 cup at a time, tried adding it all at once.....I still can't get it right! icon_mad.gif I wish the off brand would still taste good!!!!Grrrrrr. I am so stumped. What do you think??? Thanks

11 replies
LindaF144a Posted 13 May 2011 , 12:42am
post #2 of 12

How old is the two shortenings?
What is the off brand?
Did you try to keep mixing the curdles batches for a while to see if it comes together?
Stand mixer or hand mixer?

jenabbott00 Posted 13 May 2011 , 8:37pm
post #3 of 12

Where can I find this recipe? I see a lot of people mention it. I'm looking for a good BC.

Thanks

sunset74 Posted 13 May 2011 , 8:52pm
post #4 of 12

I have been having this issue with the Decorator icing I make as a WMI. I did not have it when I used Best Choice (off brand) of shortening, but am finding it more and more when I use Crisco, despite doing everything the exact same. It does not show up as bad when the icing is white but when adding color to it it is GLARING.

shawna29xx Posted 13 May 2011 , 8:54pm
post #5 of 12

happened to me as well. crisco doesn't have as much trans fat anymore. i bought an off brand shorting from smart and final and it worked so check the side of the can and compare the fats in the crisco and off brand.

divinecc Posted 16 May 2011 , 8:23pm
post #6 of 12

Sorry I haven't had a chance to log on but I bought the crisco about 3 wks ago and the off brand 4 weeks ago. The off brand is Western Family. I used a stand mixer and beat the piss out of a few of the curdled batches and it never came together.

Sunset74- It didn't look as bad in my white bc either but the pink and green looked horrible.

I think its just the crisco, I dunno. I am sure there are a million decorators who use crisco and butter just fine so I am stumped. Maybe a bad batch? Too bad cause it's the bulk Crisco can.

calicopurr Posted 16 May 2011 , 8:27pm
post #7 of 12

Over-beating causes grainy icing according to one well known decorator. She says that in her video.
Would you like to see it?

divinecc Posted 16 May 2011 , 8:33pm
post #8 of 12

Thanks Calicopurr but it wasn't grainy just curdled. I really should have taken pics of the crisco and off brand batches.

LindaF144a Posted 16 May 2011 , 8:33pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicopurr

Over-beating causes grainy icing according to one well known decorator. She says that in her video.

Yes! I would.

Gerle Posted 16 May 2011 , 8:44pm
post #10 of 12

Linda F144a -- I'd like to see the video, too, please.

Gerle Posted 16 May 2011 , 8:46pm
post #11 of 12

Oops! Should have been asking Calicopurr. I just looked at the last poster's name! But would still like to see the video....

calicopurr Posted 16 May 2011 , 8:50pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144a

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicopurr

Yes! I would.

I'm going to try Wimblecker's BC method next. She has other helpful videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSN-Q5ZK1zU&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
So over-beating causes graininess in BC<<<who knew? Apparently she did!
HTH someone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%