Is There A Formula For How Much Icing You Need For Cakes?

Decorating By mahgwet Updated 12 May 2011 , 7:28pm by VanillaCoke

mahgwet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mahgwet Posted 12 May 2011 , 5:31pm
post #1 of 8

Hello!

I sincerely apologize if this question comes up every week or so and you all are tired of answering it. I have looked for at least a couple of hours on this site and haven't seen this topic addressed.

I am making a 12-inch, two-layer cake for a bridal shower that will be covered in basketweave pattern (plus borders). Flowers for the top are in royal icing, which I have already made.

How much buttercream should I make in order to be safe? I'll be tinting it light brown and I worry about not having enough icing, having to make another batch and not being able to match the color.

Thanks for any and all replies! icon_smile.gif

Margaret

7 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mahgwet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mahgwet Posted 12 May 2011 , 5:40pm
post #3 of 8

Thank you, CWR. Do you find that chart to be accurate? I find I use more icing than called for when I do basketweave on the sides because I always do a thin layer underneath.

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 12 May 2011 , 5:43pm
post #4 of 8

It's difficult to make "just enough" icing........I always make plenty extra!

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 12 May 2011 , 5:45pm
post #5 of 8

Wow, I'm not the one who asked the question, but thanks for that link! Great starting point!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 12 May 2011 , 6:32pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahgwet

Thank you, CWR. Do you find that chart to be accurate?

I don't use the chart because I don't bother dealing with measuring "cups"... I go by weight, and know in my head how many lbs. I'll need.

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 12 May 2011 , 6:37pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahgwet

Thank you, CWR. Do you find that chart to be accurate?

I don't use the chart because I don't bother dealing with measuring "cups"... I go by weight, and know in my head how many lbs. I'll need.

Good idea! I just went and weighed mine....1cup buttercream is 8oz!!! My recipe is anyways!! Its a good jumping off point!!! Kitchen scales are a baker's best friend icon_biggrin.gif

VanillaCoke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VanillaCoke Posted 12 May 2011 , 7:28pm
post #8 of 8

That chart looks pretty right to me. I just know how many of my recipes I need per cake, and I have a chart for my own recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%