Am I Seeing This Right? Technique Question

Decorating By Chef_Stef Updated 12 May 2011 , 10:41pm by Chef_Stef

Chef_Stef Posted 12 May 2011 , 5:22pm
post #1 of 14

I'm doing a lace-look cake (which I'd LOVE TO POST as an attachment but can't get the freaking thing to work AGAIN), in a few weeks. I initially thought it was fondant appliques, but looking closer it looks like freehand royal outlines with the appearance of being filled in with flooding or run sugar...?

Should I try that? Has anyone done floodwork on cake sides before? or just do fondant cut outs? icon_razz.gif

I can post the pic to my photos, but apparently NOT working out as an attachment, even resized. icon_mad.gif

So-- can you do run sugar, vertically? (and they aren't pre-made; they follow the curves of the cake as if done directly on the sides)

13 replies
cakegirl1973 Posted 12 May 2011 , 5:31pm
post #2 of 14

Can you attach a link to the pic?

Chef_Stef Posted 12 May 2011 , 5:34pm
post #3 of 14

I'll just add it to my photos. It will be the most recent one, ivory squares with gorgeous piped design.

I love that its freehand looking...

give me a minute

sweetflowers Posted 12 May 2011 , 5:36pm
post #4 of 14

Although I can't see a picture, I do know you can flood on a curve and then attach to the side of your cake. I've done it on several of my cakes. Especially if have a lace piece of fondant you dry on a curve (I have formers for each cake size, but you can use a cake dummy side or the side of your pans) and then flood or brush with royal. My run sugar icing is thicker than my normal collar icing for flooding though, I use icing that smoothes out to a count of 16 instead of 10 and a warm lamp to help it dry quickly.

Chef_Stef Posted 12 May 2011 , 5:52pm
post #5 of 14

Yeah, I think I could do some of those not *on* the cake, come to think of it. It's squares, so that would help.

hmm. Interesting.

Can't wait to work on it though! icon_smile.gif

sweetflowers Posted 12 May 2011 , 6:06pm
post #6 of 14

Now that I can see it. It does look like fondant cutouts overpiped with royal. Very pretty.

TexasSugar Posted 12 May 2011 , 6:17pm
post #7 of 14

For a close to that look, I would try piping the icing in the shape, and then just painting the inside of it. I think the contrast between the color and the piping could be enough to create some depth.

Kaykaymay Posted 12 May 2011 , 6:17pm
post #8 of 14

To me it looks like Royal or Buttercream outlining the design then piped on the inside and with a damp brush you brush the icing to fill in the space (kind of like brush embroidary).

Chef_Stef Posted 12 May 2011 , 6:25pm
post #9 of 14

Thanks! I see it being royal freehand work too. I invoiced it as fondant appliques though, and the cricut could do the trick, so I will either ask her what she wants or just make an Executive Decision. Either way I will post the result at the end of the month. Big 5 tiers like that are always fun ! icon_smile.gif

DeniseNH Posted 12 May 2011 , 6:56pm
post #10 of 14

Ok, since I always see things differently, here's what I think the artist did. She marked each area with a cutter - very lightly then dusted the inside of that mark with satin dust - making it look painted or covered in "something" then she royal iced around the design and interior details. I think it's all hand done with satin dust, and royal. How's that for another slant on things? Oh and we are talking about the first cake in your grouping of cakes, the white on white square one, correct?

robinmarie Posted 12 May 2011 , 6:58pm
post #11 of 14

what site did you find that cake, its beautiful, I bet you will do a fantastic job.

Chef_Stef Posted 12 May 2011 , 7:25pm
post #12 of 14

Yes that's the cake. Thanks !

I wish I knew whose cake..the bride sent me the pic.

chrisviz Posted 12 May 2011 , 7:29pm
post #13 of 14

Wow that cake is stunning! I would love to find out how you did it when you are done!

Chef_Stef Posted 12 May 2011 , 10:41pm
post #14 of 14

Well. Thanks everyone. The mods removed the pic so I guess you'll have to wait til I do it myself to see it.

Again: SO THRILLED that the underwhelmingly pia attachment option didn't work.

Til then--

Quote by @%username% on %date%