Zebra Stripe Cake

Decorating By Annie8 Updated 12 May 2011 , 10:31pm by marchdragonfly

Annie8 Posted 12 May 2011 , 2:09pm
post #1 of 6

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to make an all buttercream zebra striped cake? The only thing I could think of was to use kind of a buttercream transfer method.

Thanks for any tips/suggestions!

5 replies
2txmedics Posted 12 May 2011 , 3:02pm
post #2 of 6

Hi, I did my very first zebra cake like 2yrs back I think
I airbrushed the stripes...Im getting ready to do another at the end of this month and I work only in bc, my daughter hates airbrush so doesnt want it airbrushed, I dont work in fondant at all, we fight....

so Im also thinking of maybe stenciling it on, Ive done that in bc that is real thin, after the cake crust you can do that it would be like this persons tutorial

Ive also stenciled in RI, but both times I let it dry real good, I was nervous. good luck!

Annie8 Posted 12 May 2011 , 9:37pm
post #3 of 6

I don't have an airbrush. I haven't invested that kind of money yet into a tool. Plus, I'm not sure I'm "artistic" enough to paint on a cake. icon_smile.gif Stencil sounds like it might work. Thanks!

jo3d33 Posted 12 May 2011 , 10:02pm
post #4 of 6

Do you guys remember the camouflage buttercream turorial? She used a paint roller to smooth it out once it had set a little? I wonder if that would work for the zebra stripe??

grandmomof1 Posted 12 May 2011 , 10:24pm
post #5 of 6

What about cutting out zebra stripes as a stencil and stenciling it on the cake?

marchdragonfly Posted 12 May 2011 , 10:31pm
post #6 of 6

Hi, I just did an all buttercream zebra print cake. I simply frosted the cake with buttercream normally, and then I took my black buttercream and used a small tip to draw the zebra print and filled it in. I let it dry for a little bit and then I used the Viva papertowel method over the whole cake. It worked well. I'm not sure how to attach the file, but if you look in my profile pics, it is a pink heart with zebra stripes.....hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%