I Get Frosting Everywhere!!

Decorating By Rhonlynn Updated 12 May 2011 , 10:50pm by Rhonlynn

Rhonlynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonlynn Posted 12 May 2011 , 2:08pm
post #1 of 4

I hope this is the appropriate place to ask. I'm on my third class, Cake Decorating one, Wilton. I like to decorate the cakes, it's fun,and with my other things i make...(knitted hats), this is fun.

My problem is, how do I do making the buttercream frosting, neater. I get Crisco everywhere. I've tried everything, and this is my second cake, and by now i am tired of eating them...but that is fine, and I've not decided what to do about that....get my mixes on sale, I guess.

But how do I avoid getting Crisco on door knobs, countertops, everywhere? I do the cake frosting part very neat. icon_eek.gif

3 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 May 2011 , 2:25pm
post #2 of 4

Are you keeping your hands clean?

As a WMI, one of the things I totally stress to my students is that they always keep their hands clean, especially when handing the bags.

Something you can do the help make clean up easy is line your counter tips with wax paper or freezer paper, that way you can just roll it up and toss it out.

BARBARAJEAN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BARBARAJEAN Posted 12 May 2011 , 2:31pm
post #3 of 4

If you are using a stand mixer, put a towel over the top and sides of the bowl. Start out very slowly until everything is in the bowl, and then turn up your mixer. Hand held mixers have to start really slowly as well, but they tend to be messier. Sometimes you can stop splash with a bit of plastic wrap around the sides of the bowl. Make sure your bowl is big enough, but not too big. You want it to be almost full when you are done. There are also splash things you can buy for mixers. I don't remember what they are called. I should not be answering this because my kitchen looks like heck when I get done decorating. Some days I can't believe one person can make that big of a mess.

Rhonlynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonlynn Posted 12 May 2011 , 10:50pm
post #4 of 4

I have some time to look around tomorrow, cause I need some cake decorating items,and I want to learn how to do that lace, with the mold? (talking about messy...) I'm going to look for a bowl shield thing,and I'm a nurse, I know to wash my hands, but I might not do it frequently while making icing. I'm not sure my WMI mentioned washing hands. lol., there's a sink in the classroom.

I like the idea of waxed paper on everything. I had crisco everywhere, on doorknobs, everywhere.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%