Does Anyone Have Any Tips On Making The Converse Shoes?

Decorating By pumpkin823 Updated 12 May 2011 , 2:37pm by sweetcakesbyjen

pumpkin823 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pumpkin823 Posted 12 May 2011 , 11:45am
post #1 of 5

Hi,

I am going to attempt to make the Converse shoes using the template and instructions provided by stellastarchild. I would appreciate any tips or lessons learned in making the shoes. The shoes are for a cake on Saturday. Do you think that is enough time for them to dry? Also I am a little confused regarding the dough directions and what it is used for?

I would appreciate any advice or help. Thanks!

4 replies
seedrv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seedrv Posted 12 May 2011 , 12:05pm
post #2 of 5

I only have another tutorial for you to glance. I'd like to make one someday.

http://www.kakefesten.com/en/temakaker/converse

sweetcakesbyjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesbyjen Posted 12 May 2011 , 12:28pm
post #3 of 5

The dough is used to help you get the rounded look at the front of the shoe where the toes are. I know you don't have time to purchase this, but cakesbyximena.com has shoe formers. The only thing I can offer is to let your pieces set up for a couple of minutes after you cut them. They are easier to work with.
About having enough time to dry, if you get them done today, they should be fine. I'm a procrastinator, so I usually don't get my gumpaste figures done till wed or thurs for my weekend orders, unless it's a bigger, thicker piece that needs several days to dry. HTH!

pumpkin823 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pumpkin823 Posted 12 May 2011 , 12:44pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the response.

sweetcakesbyjen - recipe for the dough calls for 1 cup of salt. Is this correct? Also I will not be able to make the dough and shoe until tomorrow. Is that too late? Do you glue the pieces together as you cut them? Sorry for all the questions.

sweetcakesbyjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesbyjen Posted 12 May 2011 , 2:37pm
post #5 of 5

I'm not sure about the dough recipe. When I made my shoes, I just used premade fondant. I was too lazy to make the dough..lol...and it worked good. You might be able to pull off making them tomorrow as the shoes are not really thick. I think I read on CC somewhere that you can crack open your oven and let the light help dry out your shoes too. Yes, glue them as you cut them. Don't get too far ahead of yourself.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%