What Is The Difference? Sugar Paste & Gum Paste?

Decorating By Cosima Updated 18 Mar 2014 , 1:00am by abuelagilda

Cosima Posted 12 May 2011 , 3:36am
post #1 of 18

I see some recipes say sugar paste and some say gum paste. Is there a difference?

17 replies
wildflowercakes Posted 12 May 2011 , 3:43am
post #2 of 18

Sugar paste is the same thing as rolled fondant. :0)

Cosima Posted 12 May 2011 , 12:19pm
post #3 of 18
Originally Posted by wildflowercakes

Sugar paste is the same thing as rolled fondant. :0)

Thank you ! icon_smile.gif

03FLSTF Posted 12 May 2011 , 2:48pm
post #4 of 18

Actually, sugar paste is the same thing as gum paste (not fondant), and seems to be the preferred term in the UK, Australia, and Europe. If gum paste (aka sugar paste) is mixed 50/50 with fondant its referred to as Mexican paste.

Hope that helps icon_lol.gif

sweetflowers Posted 12 May 2011 , 3:17pm
post #5 of 18

No 03FLSTF, wildflowers is correct. Sugar Paste is our rolled fondant. the UK calls our gum paste, flower paste. A 50/50 mix is known as modeling paste in the UK, I guess it could also be mexican paste, but I'm not familiar with the recipe.

Kristie925 Posted 12 May 2011 , 3:20pm
post #6 of 18

This link kinda helps... http://slice-heaven.com/store/show/TTT-WTD
But, I'm still unsure about the details. It seems to me that different people and different countries call things by different names. Kinda like how American cookies are biscuits in the UK, but biscuits are something entirely different in America. It's enough to make your head spin.

Cakechick123 Posted 12 May 2011 , 11:00pm
post #7 of 18

wildflowers and sweetflowers are correct.
In the UK, Australia and South Africa fondant is called sugarpaste.
Our flower paste is called gumpaste in the US.
50/50 mix is also called modelling paste

AFAIK mexican paste is not as strechy as gumpaste.

Cosima Posted 12 May 2011 , 11:20pm
post #8 of 18

ok, I'm so confused. How do you do a 50/50 mix and would that be the best to form these waves on this cake?
OK I'm so confused. I need to make a stiff fondant to make these waves:

warchild Posted 12 May 2011 , 11:46pm
post #9 of 18

I'm going to confuse you even more by saying, to me, the white part of the waves looks like royal.

warchild Posted 12 May 2011 , 11:56pm
post #10 of 18

Forgot to add, thats an awesome cake. Do you know who made it?

NJCakery Posted 13 May 2011 , 12:00am
post #11 of 18

That is one awesome cake!

tokazodo Posted 13 May 2011 , 12:29am
post #12 of 18

That is one very cool cake. Wouldn't that be fun to do at Christmas time, but use green gumpaste/fondant and make it like a Christmas tree with white tips on the branches?

I like it this way too, very much!

sweetflowers Posted 13 May 2011 , 3:17pm
post #13 of 18

That is really pretty. For the stiffened fondant, you can use 50/50 paste, which is half gumpaste half fondant (or half flowerpaste half sugarpaste if you are in the UK, or aust, etc). But I would just use some tylose in my fondant (or CMC) those are products which also produce a modeling paste. You'll have to prop the fondant up until it dries though Then it does indeed look like the decorator went over the edges with royal and brushed it. . Love the look. icon_smile.gif

03FLSTF Posted 13 May 2011 , 4:55pm
post #14 of 18

Thanks for all of the input re: gum paste vs. sugar paste. I was feeling like a doofus icon_redface.gif and decided to research again. It appears that the terms may mean different things to different people. The key difference between the two is that fondant doesnt contain an agent such as gum tragacanth.

The important thing is to understand which material to use depending on the application. E.g., gum paste can be rolled extremely thin, like the petal of a flower, and dries hard. Fondant will also dry eventually, but cannot be rolled as thin as gum paste, and doesnt tolerate stretching and ruffling nearly as well (e.g., ball tool around the outer edge of a flower petal). Fondant is often used to cover a cakes surface and for borders. When applied over an iced cake (usually butter cream) the fondant will remain pliable.

These sites state gum paste and sugar paste are the same:

These sites either suggest or state that sugar paste and fondant are the same:

Similar diverse information was expressed on this thread in 2008:

sweetflowers Posted 13 May 2011 , 9:13pm
post #15 of 18

Yes, there is a lot of mis-information on the internet. I go by my books and 20 years experience in which I've seen the recipes for sugar paste and they are just like our US fondant recipes (long before you could buy ready made fondant in the US) . However, it is possible in some other country, that sugarpaste is made like our gumpaste, you just never know. Best thing is to go with what you want to use it for and what effect you want.

Cosima Posted 13 May 2011 , 10:45pm
post #16 of 18

OMG icon_eek.gif I'm so confused by all of this. I'm new to this and I look at fondant as being the main item that wraps the cake and tastes a lot better then the sugar/gum/modeling paste. The fondant recipes that I've found show that it has marshmallows in it etc., and the sugar/gum/modeling paste seems to be a more stiff with less flavor? At least that's what I'm gathering.

Thanks everyone for their advice....sweetflowers - I think adding the tylose to the marshmallow fondant will give me what I need. Stiffness & tasty (I hope). This is my project for the weekend. Wish me luck icon_smile.gif

sweetflowers Posted 16 May 2011 , 3:19pm
post #17 of 18

Sounds like you have it right. It is confusing, but the main thing is to know what you need and then pick the right product for it. Although commercial bought sugarpaste (rolled fondant) does have some gum in it, they are not the same amounts and not interchangeable with gumpaste for everything.

I know it's too late now, but good luck, I love this cake and can't wait to see how yours comes out.

abuelagilda Posted 18 Mar 2014 , 1:00am
post #18 of 18

very good thank you you were the only one to explain it simply and well 

Quote by @%username% on %date%