Wine And Grape Cake

Decorating By Debra1976 Updated 14 May 2011 , 5:44pm by SarahBeth3

Debra1976 Posted 12 May 2011 , 3:01am
post #1 of 8

I am making a wine and grape cake for a 40th birthday party. I have been looking online for a technique to make realistic grapes from fondant and have not really found anything that is helpful. Any suggestions will be appreciated. icon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
morrisaz2004 Posted 12 May 2011 , 4:00am
post #2 of 8

Too funny! I'm doing a cake next weekend with the same theme and for a 40th Birthday, too! I'm doing grapes in both purple and green. I bought some luster dust and I'm going to brush them on the grapes, to give it a more finished look. I hope it works. Other than that, maybe someone else will have some good idea. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

Debra1976 Posted 12 May 2011 , 7:03pm
post #3 of 8

The luster dust is a good idea. I was thinking of using floral wire to create the bunches so they do not look like they were just piled on.

YellowBrickRd Posted 13 May 2011 , 4:14pm
post #4 of 8

I watched an episode of Amazing Wedding Cakes and the group from White Flower shop did an awesome cake with a wine bottle. And grapes. They airbrushed the grapes but luster dust will work. I mix mine sometimes with the vodka and I find it can give a darker sheen. You may try that for contrast. The wire idea sounds like a good idea. I need to make a rose bush what kind of wire do you use? icon_smile.gif

Debra1976 Posted 14 May 2011 , 1:41am
post #5 of 8

In the craft stores just the regular thin flexible flower wire. icon_smile.gif

nicunurse Posted 14 May 2011 , 2:00am
post #6 of 8

I used woppers malted balls glued together with melted chocolate and then painted them with wilton icing gel. Hope this helps icon_biggrin.gif

DeniseNH Posted 14 May 2011 , 3:18pm
post #7 of 8

Can you show us a photo of how it looks. I can't seem to understand how icing gel would stick to the chocolate on the whoppers. I'm thinking that maybe a dusting of purple luster dust would give it a deep purple hue. I love the idea - just need to see it to believe it. icon_smile.gif

SarahBeth3 Posted 14 May 2011 , 5:44pm
post #8 of 8

If nicunurse's Wopper grapes are the ones on" Marcys 40th" then they look awesome! You'd never know they were Woppers! Great job!

Quote by @%username% on %date%