Frostings That Can Withstand Heat?

Baking By augurey Updated 12 May 2011 , 9:01pm by augurey

augurey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
augurey Posted 11 May 2011 , 11:17pm
post #1 of 6

I'm having an issue with my buttercream frosting melting. I'm using the basic Wilton recipe of 1/2 cup shortening and 1/2 cup butter/margarine.

Obviously if it's warm enough out, it's going to melt. And I know we haven't even reached the warmest of days (though today has been one of the warmest of the year).

Today it's only been in the 70's and my buttercream was melting to the point of nearly being soupy (and I know it has to do with the heat, not the recipe as I haven't had this issue yet).

This is the only type of frosting I've ever made. I'm very amateur and not very knowledgeable about what's out there.

I know that there is only so much you can do as heat will greatly affect frosting, but I was wondering if there were any other recipes that would maybe hold up a little better or that are a little more heat resistant?

Like I said, I know there's only so much you can do, but if my frosting is nearly a soupy consistency with temperatures in the 70's, then I might as well consider spring/summer/some fall months a no-go for baking. We don't have AC of any type, so it's not like I can keep the house cool to be able to work with it. The best that I can do is put on fans on to cool the room down and open windows.

So, are there any substitutions or other recipes that can at least withstand a bit of heat?

5 replies
mommakristin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakristin Posted 11 May 2011 , 11:32pm
post #2 of 6

I haven't ever used the recipe that you are referring to. I have always used Sugarshack's buttercream and haven't really had a problem with it. I'm sure all buttercreams will melt if it's hot enough but as of yet I haven't that problem. I'm in Texas so if buttercream is going to melt it would be here!!

good luck! HTH

augurey Posted 12 May 2011 , 12:58am
post #3 of 6

Thanks for the suggestion!

I've only just started getting my feet wet with making my own frosting, so I became comfortable with the Wilton recipe. But the Sugarshack's buttercream sounds amazing, and after reading up on it after reading your post, I'm actually really anxious to try it. Now I'm trying to find any place around here that I can get the hi-ratio shortening. The closest I can find so far is an hour drive, but as my boyfriend is very supportive and encouraging in my wanting to learn and improve, it may be well worth the road trip.

Again, thanks for the suggestion, and I'm sure if the frosting can withstand Texas weather, I'm sure it'll be fine in Ohio lol

mommakristin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakristin Posted 12 May 2011 , 1:09am
post #4 of 6

Anytime!!

I think you will pleasantly surprised once you have tried the SS buttercream.

Not too far off the subject but you should also check into SS's DVD collections. She actually has on for buttercream and one for fondant. They were a lifesaver when I first started out!

Mom23Angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom23Angels Posted 12 May 2011 , 1:13am
post #5 of 6

You might also want to try Indydebi's Buttercream. She has said that she uses regular shortening (not hi-ratio), and her buttercream stands up in midwest heat and humidity. I've tried lots of recipes, and use hers exclusively (I use wedding bouquet instead of vanilla).

Good luck icon_smile.gif

augurey Posted 12 May 2011 , 9:01pm
post #6 of 6

mommakristin, I think I will check out those dvd's. The buttercream recipe I have is the only I've ever really tried, and since it worked, I've been too nervous to try other things. I like the taste, but obviously the heat/melting is a big flaw, especially if it's happening when it's not even that hot out. So I know I need stray what's comfortable for me.

As far as fondant goes, I've only ever worked with it once (and it just squares - that didn't look good). I'm rather intimidated by it, so I'll definitely have to get those!

Mom23Angels, I'll look into that as well! Since my post last night, I've been researching hi-ratio shortening and it looks like I either have an hour drive (one way) or will have to order it off the internet, so this may be a nice alternative if the hi-ratio gets too expensive for me to buy or if I need to make something while waiting for it. But I'd like to try both, and hopefully I'll have two that I can work with.

I just know that I need alternatives to what I'm working with as it's not always going to work as I learned last night.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%