Icing "melting" Off My Cakes!

Decorating By brandibaker Updated 12 May 2011 , 11:15pm by indydebi

brandibaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brandibaker Posted 11 May 2011 , 11:07pm
post #1 of 17

I just recently used new buttercream recipe and it worked fine for a couple of cakes, but the last 2 cakes I made it falls off the cake! I am super irritated icon_sad.gif I am thinking I am going to just go back to the wilton or indydebbie BC. what would have caused this? I also have a hard time with my buttercream getting air pockets in it, even with indydebbie's recipe. Any help would be super!
Brandi

16 replies
mommakristin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakristin Posted 11 May 2011 , 11:20pm
post #2 of 17

I use Sharon with Sugarshack's BC. It works like a charm every time.

Wing-Ding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wing-Ding Posted 11 May 2011 , 11:29pm
post #3 of 17

The only time I've had that happen was when it was very humid. Of course in AZ where I am, that's a rarity. But I just happen to be decorating a cake with the buttercream I use all the time and it was storming outside. The buttercream was literally dripping from the piping bag with me even squeezing.

Wing-Ding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wing-Ding Posted 11 May 2011 , 11:30pm
post #4 of 17

That's supposed to say "without me even squeezing". Of course it's going to come out if I'm squeezing the bag.... DUH!

cake4baby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake4baby Posted 11 May 2011 , 11:34pm
post #5 of 17

I have had this problem in extreem heat and humidity.
First I always keep the tepm below 75, any higher and things can go wonky for me.
Best I have found to remedy the issue is avoiding icing with butter in the hotter months, instead using all shortning. When its real humid and hot I will sub a C of flour for a C of PS. I get the best airless icing when applying Sugarshacks method of how she makes her icing. (took me a few times to get it right though - had to play with ammounts to fill my mixer)

brandibaker Posted 11 May 2011 , 11:48pm
post #6 of 17

thank you ladies! It had rained a little bit when I was doing those cakes (I am in CO so pretty dry here) so it probably was due to it being a little more humid than usual. Of course I have 4 cakes do to in the next week and it has been raining all day and is supposed to rain tomorrow too. I think I will just not put as much liquid in the frosting and give Sugarshack's recipe another try. icon_wink.gif would that fix the problem? I am kind of nervous since 2 of the cakes are pretty big. They are for the kindergarteners graduation at my son's school!

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 12 May 2011 , 12:34am
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandibaker

I just recently used new buttercream recipe and it worked fine for a couple of cakes, but the last 2 cakes I made it falls off the cake! I am super irritated icon_sad.gif I am thinking I am going to just go back to the wilton or indydebbie BC. what would have caused this? I also have a hard time with my buttercream getting air pockets in it, even with indydebbie's recipe. Any help would be super!
Brandi

What's your recipe? What kind? Without knowing the ingredients or how it is made we are all stabbing in the dark, or telling you which one we use which probably won't help you at all.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 May 2011 , 9:56am
post #8 of 17

what linda said. we're all just shooting in the dark unless we know what you're working with.

sweetmonkeycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmonkeycheese Posted 12 May 2011 , 1:48pm
post #9 of 17

I made the same recipes last month as I made last night but this time I did not need to add the extra creamer b/c the humidity here is HIGH, I was suprised that a month would made such difference.

indydebi Posted 12 May 2011 , 1:50pm
post #10 of 17

what's your sugar/fat ratio?

brandibaker Posted 12 May 2011 , 4:03pm
post #11 of 17

duh! sorry ladies. The recipe I tried out is from a friends mom who has been decorating cakes for 40 years. This is what she gave me:
1 c crisco
2 lbs of powdered sugar
1/2 c water (give or take)
1 tsp flavor
dash of salt

the first couple times I used it, it worked out fine, but the last 2 just didn't
;(

Indydebbie- I like your recipe but I just can't seem to get a frosting without air pockets! the woman did tell me I was mixing for too long, but even with just barely mixing it comes out with air pockets. I have been using a 4 1/2 quart KA. I just got my new professional 6 quart one yesterday

LindaF144a Posted 12 May 2011 , 5:19pm
post #12 of 17

IMO, your recipe has a lot of liquid. The give or take is the clue. It is probably one of those recipes that needs to be adjusted for the weather. I have one like that from my MIL. She gave me the recipe and said when it's raining, add less liquid. I guess it's something we will learn to adjust at the right time like they did.

As for air pockets in the icing. Make a double batch so that your beater is covered and won't incorporate any more air. I have used hers where there is air pockets, but if you give the frosting a stir before you use it, most of them work out. And I have been able to smooth it fine too. I haven't used it in a while. I can't get enough of SMBC. But I did use it for a friend who wanted that kind of dressing. While it had the air pockets, it still went on smoothly and I was able to smooth it to a nice finish. I haven't posted a photo of it yet. I should do that sometime.

brandibaker Posted 12 May 2011 , 7:15pm
post #13 of 17

doesn't matter if I make a double batch. Still has bubbles and I can't get it to smooth. I hate it! I will try just stirring before use and see if that helps. I think I am going to make the frosting tomorrow since it is supposed to not rain tomorrow lol

Mo-Mo73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mo-Mo73 Posted 12 May 2011 , 7:38pm
post #14 of 17

ever tried a hi-ratio shortening frosting recipe???

LindaF144a Posted 12 May 2011 , 7:43pm
post #15 of 17

So what kind of shortening are you using? How do you mix it? What order? I know Debi said it wasn't important, but others are getting better results using something besides the dump method.

CakeLady1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeLady1981 Posted 12 May 2011 , 9:00pm
post #16 of 17

Not trying to hijack this post but what is the Sugarshack recipe?

I have also been having problems with my buttercream!

indydebi Posted 12 May 2011 , 11:15pm
post #17 of 17

Thread on how to mix, including pics: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-650745-0.html

You can't overmix this stuff. I would turn on the mixer and go outside for a smoke break or walk next door to the Dollar General to visit with those ladies and pick up a few things. I never worried about getting the icing above the beater. I also never judged the consistency on what it looked like in the bowl. Once it's Melvira'd, it's baby-butt smooth! icon_biggrin.gif

Running the mixer longer pulverizes the fat. You have GOT to make sure the fat is totally pulverized or the particles of fat cause air tunnels. See my explanation about fat particles in this thread: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-668549-hand.html+sand

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%