Question About Coloring Fondant

Decorating By shar7599 Updated 11 May 2011 , 11:44pm by shar7599

shar7599 Posted 11 May 2011 , 11:03pm
post #1 of 3

Hey ladies. I am making my little girl's bday cake this weekend. I have made 2 practice cakes and they have turned out surprisingly well. I do have a couple of questions though.

Her cake is going to be a minnie mouse cake with the hat on top. Now when I made my mom's mother's day cake, I went ahead and made the ears so they could dry. They are half MM fondant, half gum paste. I started with purple fondant because that's what I had left from hers. Just regular food coloring. Once I added the americolor super black and mixed it in. The fondant got sticky, but I added some more powdered suger and it was ok. I noticed that the little dips that you get the the MM fondant didn't show up in this. It's nice and smooth. Is that because of something they put in the black, or is that just how americolor does? I am hoping it's some wonderful reaction to the food coloring and it will also be that nice and smooth when I do the pink fondant for her cake. I even bought some white to add into the already white fondant just in case that is why it turned out so nice. My other question, when is the best time to color the fondant? It's a pain adding it into the already made stuff, but will it still be shiny if I add it to the marshmallow mix before I put in the sugar. I will post pics of what I"m talking about in a minute.

2 replies
mommakristin Posted 11 May 2011 , 11:29pm
post #2 of 3

I love Americolor. I seem to have a better result when using their colors. It seems to take less to get vibrant colors than when I used to use Wilton colors. I think it's the brand that gives you more of a smooth color. I have added the color both ways. Before I add the sugar and after I have it all made. Either way I still get the same result. You will also notice that when you color fondant red it gets very sticky like the black does.

shar7599 Posted 11 May 2011 , 11:44pm
post #3 of 3

Awesome! Thanks so much. I am so excited to see how it turns out. I decided to do it myself to save money, but have ended up buying all kinds of tools and stuff, I think it's going to end up costing more than if someone else did it. But at least I have everything now and I won't have to buy a bday cake again. Here's the cake I made for my mom, it's only my second one so I've still got some stuff to learn. Any tips on how to keep from seeing the space between the layers under the fondant? The close up pic shows the little air marks I was talking about. the ear doesn't have them, there are a couple of nick marks from my nails, but I think I'm going to have to redo them because they aren't big enough anyway!! Okay, nevermind. I can't get the stuff to attach!

Quote by @%username% on %date%