Fridge And Fondant Question....

Decorating By LASouthernSugar Updated 13 May 2011 , 3:36pm by Marianna46

LASouthernSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LASouthernSugar Posted 11 May 2011 , 10:12pm
post #1 of 2

I am icing a cake today and would like to cover it with stripes of red fondant. (think cat in the hat) If I put the stripes on tomorrow, can I put it back in the fridge or should I leave it out. How do I get it to stick to the buttercream and if it gets hot outside (think Louisiana) will the red on the fondant start to melt and bleed onto my white? I am using all shortering BC. If so I will probably just go ahead and icing it in red buttercream just wanted some suggestions. Thanks.

1 reply
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 13 May 2011 , 3:36pm
post #2 of 2

Since you're in Louisiana, I wouldn't put a cake with fondant on it in the fridge unless you really have to. The humidity will keep the condensation that forms after you take the cake out of the fridge from drying up like it should and the fondant will start melting. If it's red fondant on white icing or fondant, it might start to bleed onto the other color, too. Don't worry - if the cake is iced/fondanted and it contains no perishable ingredients like pastry cream or fresh fruit, it will be okay for several days outside the fridge.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%