Veiner/mold/tools Suggestions?

Decorating By CutieMcCakes Updated 13 May 2011 , 3:51pm by kristiemarie

CutieMcCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutieMcCakes Posted 11 May 2011 , 8:19pm
post #1 of 3

Hello fantastic decorators! I'm looking at getting started with making my own flowers, and branching out into more and more wedding cakes, but I don't know what kind of supplies to get! There are so many choices, and with a limited budget, I'm wondering what to get!

Any suggestions of veiners, molds, and tools that may multitask, or maybe any that you can't live without? Thanks!!

2 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 13 May 2011 , 3:45pm
post #2 of 3

I'm sure there are several people here that could recommend a list of supplies, but while they're answering I'll tell you what I did. I just started by buying what I needed for the first cake I wanted to make. For the next cake, I used anything I could that I already had and bought whatever new stuff I needed. After making several cakes, two things happened: 1) I had a nice, useful set of caking tools, and 2) I had a really good idea of what I needed, not just for the next cake but to have on hand for any contingency. The thing is, everybody needs different things, because everybody's style is different. Otherwise, you'll probably end up with a lot of expensive toys you'll never use.

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 13 May 2011 , 3:51pm
post #3 of 3

You'll be surprised at what you can use that you already have. I do suggest a balling tool and an exacto knife. Also a pastry wheel. Pizza cutters work but a pastry wheel is smaller and is easier to work with imo.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%