Cake Sharpness

Decorating By Iluvtreats2 Updated 17 May 2011 , 1:01am by whiteangel

Iluvtreats2 Posted 11 May 2011 , 6:56pm
post #1 of 10

How do I get the sharp effect on a cake?

9 replies
BJ Posted 11 May 2011 , 10:48pm
post #2 of 10

I think you need to be a bit more specific with your question for help. Are you talking about fondant or buttercream? Are you asking about square edges or the edges where the top meet the sides (on a round cake)? thumbs_up.gif

cakesrock Posted 12 May 2011 , 4:06am
post #3 of 10

If you are talking about sharp edges, then try ganache instead of buttercream under your fondant.

brown_suga Posted 12 May 2011 , 4:37am
post #4 of 10

Ganache under fondant gives really nice crisp, sharp, edges. If you mean a buttercream cake there are many ways to do it, but Sharon zambito has an excellent real time tutorial DVD with pretty much everything you need to know about frosting a buttercream cake.

Iluvtreats2 Posted 16 May 2011 , 2:47pm
post #5 of 10

Brown_suga love ur quote!!!!!!!!!!!!icon_smile.gif so true............. and thx for letting me know about sharon.

Iluvtreats2 Posted 16 May 2011 , 2:49pm
post #6 of 10

Hi BJ, thx for the reply! Im talking about both. The fonant and buttercream. I want to know what is the secret to sharp edges on any type of cake? thx again for replies.......

BJ Posted 16 May 2011 , 2:58pm
post #7 of 10

I found a bunch or great "YouTube" videos regarding both fondant and buttercream. Search how to ice a cake with buttercream and how to apply fondant to a cake. There are a bunch of videos on both and seeing it done is so much more helpful sometimes. Great tricks of the trade regarding edges and smoothing the cake in general.......Just a thought. thumbs_up.gif

imagenthatnj Posted 16 May 2011 , 3:00pm
post #8 of 10

You can also do this with buttercream, not just with ganache. But ganache will certainly give you sharp edges under your fondant.

Same method, buttercream.

Iluvtreats2 Posted 16 May 2011 , 3:31pm
post #9 of 10

thanks all! I would like to know what are the steps to adding the ganache? Do I add Ganache as a crumb coat and let it set, than apply fondant? Im new to some of this folksicon_smile.gif Thx for all ur help!

whiteangel Posted 17 May 2011 , 1:01am
post #10 of 10

I saw this the other night on one of the t.v. cake shows. Haven't fried it yet but plan to on the cake i am making this week. If any one else has done it and it worked, please post.

For a square corner using fondant, they used spatulas (the kind to mud a wall) lined two up straight and "pinched" the corner of extra fondant. They then used what looked like water, could have been vodka, and smoothed the corner. From my view, it was the cleanest corner I have ever seen with fondant and very sharp edging.

Just something I saw, not done, but thought it might help and plan to try it out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%