Can I Use Cognac Instead Of Vodka For Painting My Cake?

Decorating By Periperi Updated 11 May 2011 , 6:02pm by Periperi

Periperi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Periperi Posted 11 May 2011 , 4:39pm
post #1 of 3

I have an electric guitar cake due this weekend for a good friend of mine. I wanted to "paint" the neck and head of the guitar black using gel color and vodka. Well I don't have any vodka, but I do have a bit of cognac, could I use that instead? Thanks in advance for your help!!

2 replies
SugarFiend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFiend Posted 11 May 2011 , 5:30pm
post #2 of 3

I think 2 reasons vodka is preferred for painting on cakes are: 1.) It's clear (so no color interference), and 2.) High alcohol content (quick evaporation).

A third reason *might* be lack of strong flavor...? Maybe? I'm guessing on that one, though. If you're okay with the possibility of a little cognac flavor lingering (and I don't know if it would), it would probably work.

Since you're painting black, I don't think color interference would be a problem. As long as it's a decent proof, it's probably okay. Vanilla extract is often used, and it's either 35 proof or 35% alcohol (can't remember which).

Can you do a little test on a fondant scrap? I'm really wondering about the flavor thing. I'm tempted to go do my own experiment now - maybe with some Chambord or Frangelico or (ooh) maybe Goldschlager. icon_biggrin.gif

Maybe someone will chime in soon and set me straight... icon_rolleyes.gif

Periperi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Periperi Posted 11 May 2011 , 6:02pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks for the info! The cognac I have is 40 proof. I will definitely test it out using my clear vanilla and the cognac and see if there is a significant difference is color, bleeding, taste etc. If I don't care for either, I will go out and get some vodka. thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%