Is It Just Me...

Decorating By caked4life Updated 11 May 2011 , 7:34pm by caked4life

caked4life  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caked4life Posted 11 May 2011 , 2:42pm
post #1 of 4

I recently order a few containers of Fondx fondant. Seems like the longer I knead it the softer it gets, almost too soft to do anything with. Is this normal for Fondx fondant?

TIA

3 replies
 Marianna46  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 11 May 2011 , 2:45pm
post #2 of 4

Actually, it is, and I think it may be the case for most fondants. I don't know if it's the heat of the hands that does this, but I've had the same experience. FondX is the one I use the most, but it's happened with Satin Ice the few times I've used it, too. The only one I haven't had that experience with is Carma Massa Ticino Tropic. I generally add as much powdered sugar as I need to to get it back to the consistency I want plus a little shortening to keep all that powdered sugar from drying it out.

SarahBeth3  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 11 May 2011 , 3:04pm
post #3 of 4

Sometimes I just seal my fondant back up when it starts to get that way and let it rest for about 10 minutes. I think it cools back down from my hot hands and then it is ready to be worked again. Also, sometimes in warmer weather, I run cold water over my hands to cool them down and then dry them REALLY well before diving back into the fondant.

caked4life  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caked4life Posted 11 May 2011 , 7:34pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for your replies.

I've never had this problem with satin ice or my homemade MMF. Maybe I'll bump the A/C up a bit to see if this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%