Damask, Edible Image Or Stencil?

Decorating By kymscakes Updated 11 May 2011 , 3:31pm by Marianna46

kymscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kymscakes Posted 11 May 2011 , 2:28pm
post #1 of 4

I have a cake coming up with blasck damask on a white cake. I did damask for the first time recently and I used the stencil from global sugar art, but I have seen the damask edible image as well. I was only partially successful with the stencil as I didn't get nice crisp lines with my stenciling and ended up cleaning up the design with fine piping. I would love some advice.
Thanks,
Kym

3 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 11 May 2011 , 2:55pm
post #2 of 4

Somebody said on a thread here the other day that stenciling the side of a cake was a two-person job - one to hold the stencil and one to put on the icing. Maybe this would help you get cleaner lines. I think stencils and icing would look a lot nicer than an edible image. I made a cake a few months ago (unfortunately, the photos are in a cell phone that has no e-mail capabilities and I can't figure out how to get them on my computer to post here!) using a stencil and an airbrush (well, okay, Wilton Color Mist because I didn't have my airbrush yet) and it looked pretty nice, too, but I'd still go with icing for a wedding cake. Nothing quite compares with that 3D effect.

kymscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kymscakes Posted 11 May 2011 , 3:16pm
post #3 of 4

I agree it will look nicer, I just need to bite the bullet I guess....I really need a nice flat edge rubber thingy to apply the icing, I used a new spakle tool from the hardware store but it had no flexibility.

You can send a picture textmessage to an email account and save the picture that way, I just discovered that. Instead of putting in the phone number you type in the email adress and it works like a charm!

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 11 May 2011 , 3:31pm
post #4 of 4

Hmmm, I'm going to try that from my phone kymscakes. Thanks for the tip!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%