Help With Present Cake

Decorating By mom32008 Updated 11 May 2011 , 3:15pm by mom32008

mom32008 Posted 11 May 2011 , 12:33pm
post #1 of 5

Hi guys!
I have a wedding cake to do and she wants both teirs to look like a present, I have never made one like this I was wondering if any one knows how to do this? by that I mean how to get lid/ top effect?

4 replies
Marianna46 Posted 11 May 2011 , 1:01pm
post #2 of 5

One way is this. First, cover the whole tier in fondant and let it dry a little. Then roll out another sheet of fondant just to cover the top plus a little overhang. Very carefully, rub the part of the tier where you want the lid with shortening. Center the second sheet of fondant on top of the tier and bring it a short way down the sides of the cake. Carefully cut the fondant off where you want the lid to end. Ideally you would do this without letting your knife imprint the fondant below. Theoretically, the excess fondant will not stick where there is no shortening. I will confess that I've only read this, I haven't tried it, but I'm going to very soon, because it seems like the best way to do it. Of course, another possibility is to make a fully wrapped present, so there would be no lid showing, just wrapping paper and bows - LOL!

2txmedics Posted 11 May 2011 , 1:14pm
post #3 of 5

Ive also seen it on the net done out of all buttercream. stacking the cakes to get the shape of box you want and then piping the parts of the lid to give the illusion of a lid, and adding a fondant bow or real bow.

robinmarie Posted 11 May 2011 , 1:22pm
post #4 of 5

I used Fondont panels on a Tiffany cake I did. You can see it in my photos. Just make sure the panels are dry and make sure the measurement are correct so they line up together, you might want to mix some Tylose in the fondont or some gumpast. I took me a while to do this because I kept mis-measuring and didnt let the panels dry enough, but finally got the hang of it. Great learning experience.

mom32008 Posted 11 May 2011 , 3:15pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks so much for the suggestions, I think I will try the panel way, I love the effect and the sharp corners, hopefully they will come out just as good as yours!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%