Help!!! Customer With Milk Allergies.

Baking By KMLRose Updated 11 May 2011 , 3:27pm by chanielisalevy

KMLRose Posted 11 May 2011 , 12:33pm
post #1 of 6

I just received an order for a cake for one year old twins but one of them has milk allergies and can not have anything with any type of dairy products in it. So, I must use soy based products which I have never done and I was wanting ideas on cake and icing recipes that I can use that use soy products and which soy products have the best flavor. icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
Sangriacupcake Posted 11 May 2011 , 1:34pm
post #2 of 6

There are milk allergies in my family, so I deal with this issue a lot. Fortunately, children tend to enjoy simple flavors and often care more about the appearance of the cake! Most carrot cake recipes are dairy free. I have made the Hershey's cake with soy millk. Many basic yellow cake recipes can be made with shortening in stead of butter and soy milk instead of cow's milk. All-shortening icings work well with soy milk as the liquid.

A word of caution: MANY food products that would appear to be dairy-free actually contain milk derivatives. Coffee creamers, Dream Whip, almost all margarine brands, and most cake mixes contain milk products! Read the labels carefully. Let me know if you need some brand names of some "safe" products.

KMLRose Posted 11 May 2011 , 1:38pm
post #3 of 6

Yes please. Some name brands of some "safe" products would be nice to have and know.

imagenthatnj Posted 11 May 2011 , 1:54pm
post #4 of 6

This is the vegan winner of Cupcake Wars. She's got a few recipes in her RECIPES tab.

http://www.chefchloe.com/

Sangriacupcake Posted 11 May 2011 , 2:40pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMLRose

Yes please. Some name brands of some "safe" products would be nice to have and know.

Margarines:
Fleischmann's Unsalted sticks (no other Fleischmann's is safe)
Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks (very soft--I don't use in buttercream)

Milks:
all of the rice, soy, almond & hemp milks are fine
Rice Dream, Soy Dream, etc. (Rice Dream is very watery--not great for baking but ok for icing)
Silk soy milks and coffee creamers

Cake mixes:
Duncan Hines red velvet, chocolate and yellow mixes are safe--some of their other flavors are also dairy-free, but these are the only ones I have used

Good luck!

chanielisalevy Posted 11 May 2011 , 3:27pm
post #6 of 6

The best way to be sure that your product is truly dairy free is to look for the kosher certification, like the u with the circle around in (The Orthodox Union) If it has dairy in it, next to the OU will be a little d or a de (meaning dairy or dairy equipment) Since the kosher consumer can't mix milk products with meat products the certifier makes sure there isn't a TRACE of milk or milk products or touching of milk equipment on those products designated for "neutral" use, ie neither meat or milk (known as pareve) I only bake pareve, so I replace butter with margarine, oil or crisco. I replace milk with either orange juice, apple juice, water, rice milk or soy milk. I don't use sour cream, etc. You can do this, it is not hard at all! If you need any recipes, pls PM me and I will be happy to share. Good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%