Opening My Own Home Cake Business

Business By cakegirl78 Updated 20 May 2011 , 11:37pm by heartsnsync

cakegirl78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl78 Posted 11 May 2011 , 10:54am
post #1 of 4

I live in NC and just needed to know what i need to do exactly to start, am i allowed to open a home cake business and who do i need to contact.

3 replies
mommakristin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakristin Posted 11 May 2011 , 11:05am
post #2 of 4

I don't live in NC but my first contact would be to your local health dept. They should be able to tell you whether you can have a home based bakery.

There is actually quite a few threads on here pertaining to home bakeries and the legalities of each state and what is allowed. You might just have to search a little to find them. It's a frequent topic on here.

HTH Good luck!

SHYLERScakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHYLERScakes Posted 11 May 2011 , 11:11am
post #3 of 4

Go to the forums and look for the tab that says cake business...laws vary by state, county, etc. That forum has a lot of useful info! HTH and god luck!

heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 20 May 2011 , 11:37pm
post #4 of 4

I also live in NC. You first need to contract your city permit/zoning office and determine if they allow home-processing in your city and if so, what are the rules regarding doing so. In my city there are several regulations one of which is very limiting - you need to be able to easily park 3 vehicles in your driveway. Other such limitations may be in effect and hoops to jump through. It took me several weeks to figure out all that needed to be done and to do it. Next, I had to register my business name. Matter of fact, they wanted me to do it the same day. Then an inspection from the NC Dept. of Agriculture is necessary. They have many rules and red tape for you to jump through. The main restraint with getting approval from them is that you can have no pets whatsoever in your home at any time. The best website for information is this one: http://www.ncagr.gov/fooddrug/food/homebiz.htm

Finally, you need to get your insurance coverage established.

Hope this helps you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%