How Do I Attach A Fondant "plaque" To The Cake?

Decorating By katie1214 Updated 13 May 2011 , 11:02pm by katie1214

katie1214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katie1214 Posted 11 May 2011 , 10:25am
post #1 of 8

I'm making a Communion cake for two of my nephews on Friday. I made a fondant "plaque", about 3"x5", that I want to write on but I'm not sure how to attach it to the cake. I have a 10" layer and then an 8" on top and I'm not sure if it will look okay laying flat on top of the 8" or if I should give it "lift" some how. I hope this question makes sense icon_lol.gif Anyone have an idea how to give it some lift - I don't want the cake to look too flat. I'm open to any suggestions, easier ones would be appreciated since I'm new to this! TIA!!

7 replies
mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 11 May 2011 , 10:42am
post #2 of 8

You can attach it to the side with just a little water.
Check out my Flower and stems cake... I attached the silohette with just a few dabs of water

mommakristin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakristin Posted 11 May 2011 , 10:43am
post #3 of 8

I would use Royal icing to attach the plaque to the cake. Royal icing can be colored whatever color you want and dries quick and hard. It's almost like gluing something to the cake. It holds great!!

You should be able to use the RI and attach it to the top tier to give the cake some depth and visual dimension.

HTH

Nusi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nusi Posted 11 May 2011 , 11:15am
post #4 of 8

i actually use a gumpaste plaque last time cause it will be hard and can be places anywhere

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 11 May 2011 , 4:26pm
post #5 of 8

I just did this with one of my cakes. I made it out of gumpaste and since I wanted it on the side of the cake, I used the cake pan of the tier I wanted it on and let it dry on the side (to make it curve around the cake. You can see it in my gallery. I would assume that if you wanted it thicker than the cake pan you could take some cardboard (thinner so it doesn't crack when you bend it) and cover it with wax paper, wrap it around the cake pan and you'd have a much larger surface to work with for a bigger plaque.

But maybe we are talking about two different things! LOL

katie1214 Posted 11 May 2011 , 4:49pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks for the tips! Is gum paste something I can make or can you buy it ready-made? There are so many cool things that I want to try out with decorating - I need to have a play day icon_biggrin.gif

wildflowercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildflowercakes Posted 11 May 2011 , 4:56pm
post #7 of 8

Is the cake covered in fondant? A little water, corn syrup or buttercream will allow it to stick to the side of the cake. If it is covered in buttercream I'd use buttercream. If you want to stand it on top of the cake attach a support to the back of the plaque with royal icing (tooth picks, sugar sticks, popsicle stick then camouflage with fondant or other decoration) and stick it down into the cake.

katie1214 Posted 13 May 2011 , 11:02pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks for the tips everyone! I let the fondant plaque hardn and kind of stuck it in the frosting (BC) - it's the communion cake in my photos. I also used the fondant-gum past tip to make the cross on the top - I did two cut outs and put a candy stick in between them and let it dry for about 3 days. Hopefully it lasts until tomorrow afternoon for the party icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%