Edging Balls

Decorating By MUAKPsi Updated 11 May 2011 , 10:47am by mommakristin

MUAKPsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MUAKPsi Posted 11 May 2011 , 6:13am
post #1 of 5

I'm seeing a lot of bakers are using fondant balls as edging between layers. Can anyone tell me if there is a tool, or a secret to how you get them all the same size?

4 replies
carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 11 May 2011 , 6:37am
post #2 of 5

Just read about these the other day. Use a round cutter to cut fondant circles and then roll into balls. They should be equal size.

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 11 May 2011 , 8:11am
post #3 of 5

For kids cakes, I use gumballs. They come in all colors and are relatively cheap. You can see them in my Hello Kitty Zebra cake.

SugarFiend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFiend Posted 11 May 2011 , 9:23am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

Just read about these the other day. Use a round cutter to cut fondant circles and then roll into balls. They should be equal size.

Yep, but it actually doesn't even need to be a round cutter. It can be any shape, just as long as it produces a ball of fondant the size you want. Of course, it's also best to roll your fondant out to a uniform thickness first, too. thumbs_up.gif

mommakristin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakristin Posted 11 May 2011 , 10:47am
post #5 of 5

I also make fondant balls for my borders sometimes.
I use round cutters as well if I want the balls to all be uniform. If I am making a funky cake that doesn't need to look "perfect" then I "free hand" the balls to make them more "unique"..

You can also get silicon molds that make the string of balls. They make things quicker if you are pressed for time or don't want to hand roll hundreds of balls for your cakes.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%