What Can I Use To Hand Paint On Fondant?

Decorating By nikkigonzalez Updated 12 May 2011 , 3:11pm by TexasSugar

nikkigonzalez Posted 11 May 2011 , 4:38am
post #1 of 5

I have to paint some very detailed images on fondant but don't know what to do it with. Ive seen on TV they said something about using edible food coloring. Would Amerigels be good for this?? Also I steam my fondant cakes for a nice shine when finished, if I painted with food coloring, would the steam make it run and smear?

4 replies
Crazboutcakes Posted 11 May 2011 , 5:04am
post #2 of 5

In my opinion, I have a set of nice artist brushes that I use with my cake the bristols are less likely to fall out and the last a long time. The amerigels I think would work if they were thinned out a little. I usually thin them out with a extract of choice I have heard ppl use alchol but I don't drink so don't use it, I guess it would be a choice. and it would probably run once steaned so I would alos do it 1st and than paint you design, again just my opionion on how and what I'd used HTH icon_smile.gif

SarahBeth3 Posted 11 May 2011 , 5:09am
post #3 of 5

Yes, you can use liquid food coloring or you can add vodka or lemon extract to powdered food colors. Gel colors can also be used, just thin a little with a little water or vodka. You can mix colors to get your desired color if needed. Be sure to let each color dry before adding the next so they don't run & if possible, paint black last.

I've never steamed a cake before, so I can't help there. Sorry.

dawnlouiseharman Posted 12 May 2011 , 3:07pm
post #4 of 5

i buy petal dust food colours and then add "paintmate" my local cake shop sells it it works very well. i was asking them today if there was anything you could use to correct it if you make a mistake when painting, they said babywipes! im not sure myself lol icon_confused.gif

TexasSugar Posted 12 May 2011 , 3:11pm
post #5 of 5

I love to paint with airbrush colors. icon_smile.gif

But you can also thin down color gels (wilton or americolor) with lemon extract or an alcohol like vodka or everclear. Everclear is my first choice.

You can also mix powder colors with extracts or alcohols.

Quote by @%username% on %date%