Brushed Embroidery On Buttercream?

Decorating By bakingkat Updated 16 May 2011 , 11:17pm by Erin3085

bakingkat Posted 11 May 2011 , 2:14am
post #1 of 8

Is this possible? I have a cake for this weekend where they didn't really care about the design, but it's buttercream, with fresh hydrangea's on it. I think hydrangea's are pretty busy looking so I don't want to do too much on the cake, and thought a few brushed flowers would look nice without being too busy, my question is can you brush on buttercream? I'm thinking it should work as long as the base is frozen? I'm also thinking blue ribbon to match the real flowers and little gold pearls under the ribbon, with the embroidery being in white. Any input would be great! Thanks!

7 replies
Erin3085 Posted 11 May 2011 , 2:19am
post #2 of 8

Yes it is! It looks gorgeous too. icon_smile.gif

There are several how-to's on youtube if you type it in. This is the only one I've watched. It starts with some BC making tips so you'll have to skip past that a little.

KodiSnip Posted 11 May 2011 , 1:05pm
post #3 of 8

I really like the brush embroidery and I tried it for the first time on a cake and used a crusting cream cheese BC. After the final layer of BC I popped mine into the refrigerator to set the cake; and once its nice and set it makes a nice surface to embroider on

Here's mine:

cakegirl1973 Posted 11 May 2011 , 1:43pm
post #4 of 8

As an aside, I thought that I would mention that fresh hydrangeas are toxic, in case you did not know. I think you would be ok if you had some kind of barrier between the flowers and the cake. You may want to do an online search for ideas of how to make a proper barrier.

PP your embroidered flowers are lovely!

bakingkat Posted 13 May 2011 , 4:06pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks guys! Yeah, I looked up that hydrangeas are toxic. The florist is making a topper where the hydrangeas will be sitting on a Lilly leaf I believe. I'll make sure all of the scattered flowers are on a leaf as well.

The cake is turning out well, i'm using my hydrangea flower cutter for the outlines, and letting the cake freeze for a little while so it's nice and firm for the brush embroidery. I'll post a pic soon!

Erin3085 Posted 13 May 2011 , 4:50pm
post #6 of 8

Can't wait to see. icon_smile.gif

bakingkat Posted 15 May 2011 , 4:29pm
post #7 of 8

Here's the finished product icon_smile.gif

Erin3085 Posted 16 May 2011 , 11:17pm
post #8 of 8

So pretty! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%