Has Anyone Ever Stacked A Cake Iced In Pastry Pride?

Decorating By JennaB Updated 11 May 2011 , 3:47am by Sangriacupcake

JennaB  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennaB Posted 11 May 2011 , 12:07am
post #1 of 9

I just got a request from a wedding coordinator for a two tierd cake iced in a light whipped icing. I'm assuming she means Pastry Pride which makes me want to tell her to call Costco. I haven't used pastry pride much but I can't image stacking it without it squirting out from the card board base.

Is this possible to do and how do you do it?

8 replies
 kakeladi  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 May 2011 , 2:18am
post #2 of 9

It sounds like you are not whipping the PP enough. You can stiffen it up a bit more before applying....but if you overwhip it it will crack and fall off after being on the cake a short time.

I'm trying to remember if I ever used it on a stacked cake -- it's been maybe 10-15 yrs ago *and* I didn't use PP but Frostin' Pride. It's the same basic frosting but formulated a bit differently to hold up better in warmer weather. Even still it will melt if over about 85 degrees.

Sangriacupcake  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 11 May 2011 , 2:21am
post #3 of 9

What about something like Whimsical Bakehouse whipped icing?

http://www.whimsicalbakehouse.com/bake/bake_detail_house_buttercream.html

It's light and whipped but very stable due to the high ratio shortening. And it tastes great because it also has butter. I've done 2 tier cakes with it, but there are others on CC who use it all the time for cakes with more tiers!

JennaB Posted 11 May 2011 , 2:24am
post #4 of 9

Well that doesn't sound good. I think I'm going to err on the side of caution and tell them if I do it it has to have buttercream. they always have the option to go with someone else.

Sangriacupcake Posted 11 May 2011 , 2:31am
post #5 of 9

What doesn't sound good? lol ! Thousands of people love it.

JennaB Posted 11 May 2011 , 2:37am
post #6 of 9

HAHA, I meant the falling off the cake from over whipping didn't sound good, I hadn't yet seen your post sangriacupcake. Thank you for the idea of trying whimsical bakehouses' icing, I will give it a shot.

Sangriacupcake Posted 11 May 2011 , 2:42am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaB

HAHA, I meant the falling off the cake from over whipping didn't sound good, I hadn't yet seen your post sangriacupcake. Thank you for the idea of trying whimsical bakehouses' icing, I will give it a shot.

lol!!! You might want to look at the stacked cakes by Kiddiekakes...I think she has stated that she uses WBH buttercream exclusively.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/user/kiddiekakes/

calicopurr  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calicopurr Posted 11 May 2011 , 3:35am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangriacupcake

Quote:

lol!!! You might want to look at the stacked cakes by Kiddiekakes...I think she has stated that she uses WBH buttercream exclusively.

Does this buttercream that kiddiekakes uses use veggie shortening or high ratio?

Sangriacupcake Posted 11 May 2011 , 3:47am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicopurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangriacupcake

Quote:

Does this buttercream that kiddiekakes uses use veggie shortening or high ratio?

I'm not sure...you could pm her.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%