Sunbeam Stand Mixer?

Decorating By newhere2011 Updated 11 May 2011 , 2:16am by Coral3

newhere2011 Posted 10 May 2011 , 11:58pm
post #1 of 9

Has anyone bought/used the Sunbeam Heritage Series Stand Mixer? I seen one for $40 and was wondering if it was worth buying? I wanted to start making my own fondant and gumpaste, would this work or should I just continue to save for a kitchen aid?

8 replies
brittsaqtpie1 Posted 11 May 2011 , 12:07am
post #2 of 9

I have one that my grandma gave to me after we got married. I don't like it very much, I'd much rather either have a ka or a bosch. It does not mix fondant or gumpaste very well. It even has a hard time mixing batter. I'd say to continue saving for a ka.

Maria925 Posted 11 May 2011 , 12:11am
post #3 of 9

I bought one a year ago and it lasted almost exactly a year and then completely died. I used it about once a week, making double batches of buttercream and cakes. I never made fondant in it or it probably would have died sooner.

I just bought a KA and I love it! IMO...keep saving for the KA or something similar icon_smile.gif

cakegirl1973 Posted 11 May 2011 , 12:24am
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria925

I bought one a year ago and it lasted almost exactly a year and then completely died. I used it about once a week, making double batches of buttercream and cakes. I never made fondant in it or it probably would have died sooner.

I just bought a KA and I love it! IMO...keep saving for the KA or something similar icon_smile.gif




Ditto. I make about one cake per week and I went through two Sunbeams in less than one year. The first one died while I was tryong to make MMF. Save up for a KA!

llkrantz Posted 11 May 2011 , 12:47am
post #5 of 9

I completely agree with saving up for a KA. I started out with a Sunbeam using it only for buttercream icing and cakes. I was only using mine for maybe 6 months, and the motor went out. Fortunately for me, Kohls just happened to have all KA appliances on sale. I wish I had spent the money on a KA long ago.

BrindysBackyard Posted 11 May 2011 , 12:54am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkrantz

I wish I had spent the money on a KA long ago.




me too
save up for a KA and you will not be disappointed

JulieMN Posted 11 May 2011 , 1:07am
post #7 of 9

I got one as a shower gift.....it lasted about a year of light use (cake batter and buttercream)....and then it died a very bad death. I would recommend saving up for something stronger.

Sangriacupcake Posted 11 May 2011 , 1:30am
post #8 of 9

It such a shame that so many small appliances are so poorly made. I remember watching my grandma use her Sunbeam when I was a little girl, and I'm sure she had that thing for 25 years. She liked it because she could turn it on and let it do the mixing without holding it. How sad to hear that so many of you have had problems with the newer ones.

Newhere, you might want to save up for a Viking or a Cuisinart mixer....I have a KA that is less than 2 yrs old, and it's starting to make a funny noise and not all the speeds work. sigh icon_sad.gif

Coral3 Posted 11 May 2011 , 2:16am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangriacupcake

It such a shame that so many small appliances are so poorly made. I remember watching my grandma use her Sunbeam when I was a little girl, and I'm sure she had that thing for 25 years. She liked it because she could turn it on and let it do the mixing without holding it. How sad to hear that so many of you have had problems with the newer ones.

Newhere, you might want to save up for a Viking or a Cuisinart mixer....I have a KA that is less than 2 yrs old, and it's starting to make a funny noise and not all the speeds work. sigh icon_sad.gif




Those old sunbeam stand mixers go like the energiser bunny. My mum has one she got when she got married...she had her 40th wedding anniversary this year and it still goes. The new ones are such rubbish though!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%