This Really Annoys Me

Lounge By erin2345 Updated 13 Jun 2011 , 12:54am by amanduhleigh

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 May 2011 , 12:16pm
post #31 of 109

what confuses me is the apostrophe is used when it is a contraction ("don't" for "do not") and one is used when it shows possession ("debi's book"). I think that's the biggest reason I confuse them. The rule applies to both and I can't remember how to differentiate. icon_redface.gif

TandTHarrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TandTHarrell Posted 11 May 2011 , 12:57pm
post #32 of 109

This is why some people are afraid to ask questions, or respond to a question here on CC.

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 11 May 2011 , 1:23pm
post #33 of 109

For it's/its just remember the one version. Remember that whenever a letter is missing, an apostrophe always denotes this. So it's is short for it is (apostrophe for the missing i). Always substitute 'it is' into the sentence (in your head) when you are using it's to see if it makes sense. If it doesn't, use the other its. Stick with the contraction rule rather than the possessive rule (which is more complex). Don't try to work it out with the reasoning, just remember it's = it is.

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 11 May 2011 , 3:03pm
post #34 of 109

I know an old woman that always says "I had the best ideal today". I want to pull my hair out and correct her. The word is idea, not ideal. Very different meanings.

My husband is from MI. His entire family and everyone of his friends I know but 1 that is from MI says "I seen it" instead of "I saw it" or "I have seen it". The other saying is "It don't matter". Oh, but it does matter - it really does. I have corrected my husband enough that he no longer says either saying but I won't correct his family (his family and I tolerate each other and correcting them would not go over well). Now when we are around his family and he hears them say "I seen it" or "it don't matter" he corrects them because it now drives him crazy. It "don't" go over well when he corrects them either.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 11 May 2011 , 3:29pm
post #35 of 109

OK, here I go again. Apparently, my charity is short-lived. (I do try, however.)

I have such a difficult time hearing my little granddaughters' poor grammar. My son was taught well, and it pains me to hear that it was not passed down. I am eternally grateful for my dear mother's insistence on speaking correctly. (Her father was a school teacher and wouldn't even let his children sing the lyrics to a song if it contained poor grammar.)

I remember getting so aggravated when she would stop me, mid-sentence, and have me repeat, using correct grammar. This continued even into my teens. It was nice, however, not to worry in English classes, even if I couldn't necessarily recite the rule.

Even teachers are not free from blame. I once sent back a note from my son's teacher, correcting her grammar--(yes, we did have issues), and she responded by telling me that grammar and spelling were incidental to getting "getting the concept, the idea, across!)

And, sadly, I believe a lot of the blame falls on the current use of texting and other technology. It is inevitable, for who nowadays even hand writes a letter?

While I don't really want to criticize others, for I have a genuine concern for those who might be too intimidated to post, it is gratifying to see that the degradation of our language does trouble others, too.

Jan

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 11 May 2011 , 3:59pm
post #36 of 109

Looky here, Walla-Walla is a real place in the far flung corner of my state - Washington; and although it is home to some vineyards, it is NEVER confused with "voila'" ... Hmmm, "Wall-Walla Voila Vineyard" might have a nice ring to it.
Our language peeves seem to depend on where we were raised and our ages. My improper use of "take" vs "bring" drove my husband crazy until we took a little trip to his small Southern hometown where folks seemed to invent new ways to avoid pronouncing those pesky syllables others find so necessary. Now, I say "y'all" as much as possible (my new favorite word ) and he choses to ignore my grammar lapses.

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 11 May 2011 , 4:12pm
post #37 of 109

I homeschool my children, and we're currently covering this exact topic in grammar. Poor grammar is a pet peeve, but I try to ignore it online because I'm aware that many people who post on sites like this or on blogs may not be fluent in English. Also, they might be posting from a phone etc, and spell check will make the best of us look foolish sometimes. For instance, my iPhone constantly tries to turn "things" into "thongs" in my texts. I mean really...would I be more likely to type THONGS???

stormrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stormrider Posted 11 May 2011 , 4:12pm
post #38 of 109

It's like hearing people say they're going to "close" the light, they "should have went" somewhere and are going to the "libary" to get a book! Makes me laugh every time! I hate reading the news online because whoever is doing the proof-reading is leaving in all of the typos and errors mentioned in this thread. With shorthand texting as the only way some kids communicate it's no surprise that this is the case!!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 11 May 2011 , 4:18pm
post #39 of 109

These are too funny! I wish I could say I'm exempt from grammatical and spelling errors, but some get overlooked in the proofreading. I have had the worst time with the word 'definitely'. If it weren't for the little squiggly red line that I see whenever a word is misspelled I would spell it 'definately', definitley, or definatley . Thank goodness for the red squiggle!

And as for that teacher who said correct grammar wasn't important as long as they get the 'idea' across, I say I hope she never has a doctor who really didn't learn proper technique, but the fact that he got the 'idea' of surgery is what really counts!!

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 11 May 2011 , 4:20pm
post #40 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChucKles

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntieE

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycakesnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcubed82

Sounds like me and you are on the same plain about right grammer!

actually, it is "you and I" not me and you

And it's plane, not plain.

I think it's intentional icon_wink.gif

I think so too. And to be really technical, it's "proper grammer" not right grammer. icon_biggrin.gif

SugarFiend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFiend Posted 11 May 2011 , 4:28pm
post #41 of 109

I've also wondered about "boarders" on cakes. <sigh> I've been seeing that one more and more lately.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 11 May 2011 , 4:33pm
post #42 of 109

My kind of thread... I love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcubed82

Sounds like me and you are on the same plain about right grammer!

Besides "me and you" and "plain", it's "grammar".

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieKake

My advise is "don't sweat the small stuff" My husband is in a nursing home, and there are so many people there that have real problems, that I can't get excited over a mistake in grammer.

You give "advice" or ask to be advised. (As previously mentioned) it's "grammar".

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisb

...it's "proper grammer" not right grammer.

Again... "grammar".

"It's" is also a contraction for "it has" as well as "it is". If you say, "The cake is on its own board.", remember the apostrophe isn't needed because it isn't a contraction for "it has" nor "it is".

BTW, the most frequently misused words are: Affect/effect, Among/between, Continual/continuous, Disinterested/uninterested, Eager/anxious, Farther/further, Imply/infer, Lay/lie, Less/fewer, and Stationary/stationery.

A few of the most commonly misspelled words are: a lot, accommodate, all right, argument, calendar, chief, definitely, excellent, fulfill, government, governor, guarantee, humorous, immediately, inconvenience, interruption, irresistible, jewelry, judgment, laboratory, license, maintenance, nickel, ninety, noticeable, nuclear, occasion, occurrence, parallel, pastime, probably, questionnaire, received, restaurant, rhythm, satellite, seize, separate, skiing, souvenir, surprise, therefore, thorough, through, transferred, truly, until, used to, vacuum, and weird.

It's extremely disappointing to view school newsletters (not written by the students) that are full of spelling errors.

I cannot imagine how our future generations are going to remember how to spell frequently used words when they view them misspelled more often than not these days... like "sneak peek", commonly misspelled as "sneak peak" in ads by so-called professionals.

Niki11784 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niki11784 Posted 11 May 2011 , 4:48pm
post #43 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeteypie1118

I have never seen that before. My pet peeve is when people need to "loose" weight!! icon_biggrin.gif Now THAT one I see constantly

I have seen extremely educated people write "loose" instead of "lose" and it drives me INSANE!!

kkitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkitchen Posted 11 May 2011 , 4:53pm
post #44 of 109

I might be considered the enemy after this post - but what the heck!
This is my thing. Many factors come to play when you look at the English language. That's what makes it the hardest of all to learn. A lot of us can speak, but, many of us don't know English. And, that is what contributes to the malapropism, bad usage of punctuations and bad sentence structure.

I studied under the British system, and, a lot of stuff I had to adapt to when I moved to the USA, like in my country it is 'Programme' in the USA it is 'Program'- and a lot of other words.

Also some people when they translate from 'their' language to english they write it as it is - Je t'aime - I you like! But, it is actually I like you.

Now on the another note. Being such the diverse and multi-cultural 'grown-up' crowd that we are, I think there are better ways to address that that a post. People get judged in life based on their financial status, educational achievements, racial profile, and now for the way they spell/ talk? What the hell is this Great Land of Ours becoming.

So many other serious things to worry about, like the level of unemployment, the warssssss, kids being abused, hunger, the AIDS epidemic and theft on the rise. Taxes, the list goes on and on. It is a disgrace that we can find time in the 24 hours that a day allow us to allow such minor insignificant things to be an issue.

Anyway, I wish all the best! Be good, Be strong, Be greatful and be wise.
If your left hand offend your right hand -CUT IT OFF! If the way people type offend you, do not read the boards.

Kk

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 11 May 2011 , 5:05pm
post #45 of 109

My two biggest pet peeves are people who "could care less" and people who pronounce "etc." eck-set-er-a. Oh, and that marshmallow thing in my signature.

I don't judge people for making any of these mistakes because usually, they just don't know they're making a mistake. And sometimes a misspelling just gets stuck the wrong way in my head. So that, even though I know it's a spelling issue for me, I just can't seem to keep straight which version I should choose. I would always spell separate, seperate until I learned the trick that "there's a rat in separate because you want to be separate from a rat." Another one I had trouble with was dessert and desert. Then I learned that dessert has two "s"s because you want two desserts. You never want two deserts.

*ironically edited to correct spelling error icon_sad.gif

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 11 May 2011 , 5:13pm
post #46 of 109

I don't mind reading through this thread at all because if I am making mistakes, I certainly would like to learn from them! From a business aspect, grammar is something that should be respected.

My pet peeves have been covered and here are a few more:

Unthaw. Really? You are going to freeze it?

Of coarse. You mean something is rough?

Aweful. Full of awe?

icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm guilty of local vernacular sometimes. I might say "put it there" instead of "place it there." Others say "mash the key" instead of "press the key." Turn off the lights becomes "cut off the lights." "I'm fixing to" means I am going to do that. I think these examples are different from all the annoying misspellings and incorrect usage of apostrophes and homonyms.

I agree that texting is definitely doing people a disservice in the English department! Reading is how I learned to be a great speller. thumbs_up.gif

suepers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suepers Posted 11 May 2011 , 5:18pm
post #47 of 109

All of these bother me too! Another that had me speechless was my daughter's high school English teacher. That's right, her ENGLISH teacher would pronounce "ask" as "axe" because, according to her, she felt like she was spitting on people if she pronounced it correctly. UGH! thumbsdown.gif

Chasey Posted 11 May 2011 , 5:27pm
post #48 of 109

Oh that is bad! An English teacher knowingly mispronouncing a word? thumbsdown.gif

Artscallion, your siggy line worked for me!! Before I joined cake forums, I bet I would have typed marshmellow for sure.

Love the rat in separate trick. That works! I always say in my head "sep PAR rate" when typing it. icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the lessons!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 11 May 2011 , 5:56pm
post #49 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkitchen

I might be considered the enemy after this post - but what the heck!

Me too! (I would probably say "poor usage" and "poor sentence structure" instead of "bad".)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkitchen

What the hell is this Great Land of Ours becoming.

Sadly, a nation of people who can't spell. It is getting worse... I can't imagine what future generations will deem acceptable. Education is a serious thing... children should be concerned with passing spelling tests, and "gettin' 'em a serious edu-mication" so they can be judged less for coming across like an uneducated person.

(I'm not a child, yet I have nothing that upsets me, no serious concerns, nor anything that I can change or make a difference in, so no worries. I choose to get my entertainment right here. I also choose to be "grateful".)

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 11 May 2011 , 6:21pm
post #50 of 109

There are many times that I have used poor sentence structure and misspelled words on this site (and probably will in this post). That doesn't mean I'm at all offended by this thread. I think it's hilarious. Some of us need to lighten up a little.

My pet peeves:

1. Those that type a post or message in text language- if you cannot take the time to write out real words (even if misspelled), then WHY do you think I should take the time to respond to you?
and

2. Those that use an exclamation point after every sentence. I want to respond, 'stop SHOUTING at me!'

Chasey Posted 11 May 2011 , 6:28pm
post #51 of 109

I *try* to give people the benefit of the doubt when I'm reading text language. I am assuming they are reading/responding to this forum on their phone. I know that isn't true all of the time.

As for exclamation points, I see that as excited! See that? icon_biggrin.gif If you are typing in all caps I feel like you are shouting at me. I shall try to keep my enthusiasm in check when I am being too liberal with exclamation points. icon_lol.gif

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 11 May 2011 , 6:29pm
post #52 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy74

For instance, my iPhone constantly tries to turn "things" into "thongs" in my texts. I mean really...would I be more likely to type THONGS???

Haha! I love this!! I'm going to go tell my hubby to pick up his thongs! icon_lol.gif

Bettyviolet101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettyviolet101 Posted 11 May 2011 , 6:32pm
post #53 of 109

Boy I wish there were a little more grace when it came to this. This is a very judgmental forum.

Chasey Posted 11 May 2011 , 6:33pm
post #54 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangriacupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy74

For instance, my iPhone constantly tries to turn "things" into "thongs" in my texts. I mean really...would I be more likely to type THONGS???

Haha! I love this!! I'm going to go tell my hubby to pick his thongs! icon_lol.gif

Have you seen the blog www.damnyouautocorrect.com ? It's hilarious screen shots of texts "gone bad" because of the iphone autocorrect. icon_lol.gif

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 11 May 2011 , 6:36pm
post #55 of 109

I love this thread!
I used to pride myself on my spelling and grammar, but I swear, the longer I've been out of school, the more I slide.
Threads like this help remind me to stay on my toes!

Chasey Posted 11 May 2011 , 6:38pm
post #56 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettyviolet101

Boy I wish there were a little more grace when it came to this. This is a very judgmental forum.

icon_sad.gif I guess you are reading this thread thinking everyone is demeaning those with improper grammar? I was thinking this thread was rather tactful. Only listing things...not individuals...that are annoying. If someone sees themselves in one of the examples, it's okay to learn from this.

I see it as an educational opportunity! Many people don't have a clue they are using a word incorrectly. That doesn't make them a lower class citizen. It makes them uneducated in that regard, that's all. People that knowingly use incorrect grammar puzzle me. icon_confused.gif

instant-gratificaketion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
instant-gratificaketion Posted 11 May 2011 , 8:55pm
post #57 of 109

I haven't seen one post that appears judgmental, aside from the people judging the topic and accusing the posters of being judgmental and nit-picky. This was obviously meant to be a fun, silly way to vent and like one poster said, don't read it if you don't like it.

While some are being accused of judging, it could be said that the others are perhaps a bit sensitive and are misinterpreting the intent of the topic. It's true, there are other things, more important things, to worry about, but I, for one, prefer to be a little more lighthearted on the forums.

Along with the decline of proper grammar and spelling, it's also obvious that there is a growing shortage of people with senses of humor.

NerdyGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NerdyGirl Posted 11 May 2011 , 9:22pm
post #58 of 109

1. I'm from Michigan. Some of us have excellent grammar.

2. Far too often, people are lazy with their grammar. I've actually been told online - by MULTIPLE PEOPLE - that "spelling and grammar doesn't count because it's online." Um...I'd like to know who lied to these people. These people just don't give a rat's hind end about using the brain God gave them.

3. Being judgemental would be "you're stupid." Saying, "It drives me crazy when improper grammar is used" isn't judgemental. It's just an opinion about what bothers you.

4. This is a funny thread, because it's so true.

5. This thread has nothing to do with those whose native tongue is not English. Er, rather "American." Let's face it, "English" isn't exactly what we speak in the USA.

instant-gratificaketion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
instant-gratificaketion Posted 11 May 2011 , 9:32pm
post #59 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettymarysunlight

1. I'm from Michigan. Some of us have excellent grammar.

2. Far too often, people are lazy with their grammar. I've actually been told online - by MULTIPLE PEOPLE - that "spelling and grammar doesn't count because it's online." Um...I'd like to know who lied to these people. These people just don't give a rat's hind end about using the brain God gave them.

3. Being judgemental would be "you're stupid." Saying, "It drives me crazy when improper grammar is used" isn't judgemental. It's just an opinion about what bothers you.

4. This is a funny thread, because it's so true.

5. This thread has nothing to do with those whose native tongue is not English. Er, rather "American." Let's face it, "English" isn't exactly what we speak in the USA.

THAT'S what I was TRYING to say. icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 11 May 2011 , 10:52pm
post #60 of 109

The one that sets my teeth on edge the most is "Where is it at?" That "at" at the end of a sentence just kills me...and I know some very educated people who do it all the time.

I consistently correct my students' grammar but would never correct an adult's.

Has anyone heard the new Jennifer Hudson song? The chorus...

Where you at?
Where you at?
Where you at?
Where you at?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%