Easiest Way To Do This? Cake Is Two Different Colors...

Decorating By cakeflake80 Updated 11 May 2011 , 12:31am by cakification

cakeflake80 Posted 10 May 2011 , 10:57pm
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone! I am doing an old school nintendo cake as we speak. The system is two different shades of gray, dark on the bottom and light on the top. I was going to use buttercream but since I need to use fondant for the controllers and want the colors to match exactly, I figured I should just cover the cake in fondant too. My question is, how to I achieve this two tone look? I don't have too much experience covering cakes in fondant. Do I cover the entire cake the bottom shade first, and then roll out enough fondant to cover the top half in the lighter color? If so, how do I do that so that the point where the two colors meet is a straight line? Any help is truly appreciated!!!

2 replies
DeezTreatz Posted 10 May 2011 , 11:39pm
post #2 of 3

You've got it..
Cover the entire cake in fondant - then for the top shade of the controller - put your fondant on that part. I usually achieve this with eye measurements - you can always measure exactly the size you want so you won't have to keep on trying to get it right!
Good luck!

cakification Posted 11 May 2011 , 12:31am
post #3 of 3

You could also cover the whole thing in light grey, and then make a dark grey band to wrap around the bottom. Or you could just cover the whole thing in the light grey, and paint the bottom the darker colour.

Quote by @%username% on %date%