Icing "bushes/trees?"

Decorating By vgereis Updated 13 Aug 2011 , 8:44pm by Googla

vgereis Posted 10 May 2011 , 9:39pm
post #1 of 6

Hi again!

Also just wondered what is the easiest way to make trees or bushes (nothing too big... just background stuff for a cake that has a Noddy birthday picnic theme to it.... Are there any special piping tips? Or would it be easier to make it out of fondant/modeling paste? The cake will be mostly frosted, but will have fondant/modelling paste accents/characters etc....

Thanks for any help!

5 replies
jennajane Posted 10 May 2011 , 9:49pm
post #2 of 6

Good question, I have been curious about this too. I found this cake http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1922361 that looks like it uses a cone of fondant or RKT then pipes on green with a pedal tip. I like how they look. But I would be interested if others have good techniques too.

vgereis Posted 10 May 2011 , 10:07pm
post #3 of 6

Oh wow Jennajane... that tree really does look cute! I wonder if it can be done with fondant alone? Just layering on top of each other? or would that just be one almighty mess!? lol! Or maybe royal icing would work better as it dries more quickly? hmmmmm... anybody got any great ideas? heeh!

malene541 Posted 10 May 2011 , 10:25pm
post #4 of 6

I did some trees way back in the day and used an ice cream cone (waffle cone) as the base. Then take the 16 star tip (or larger start tip) and make little "peaks" starting around the bottom and working around and around to the top. It will look just like a pine tree in the forest. Super easy too!!
When I needed smaller trees I would just cut off part of the cone.

Occther Posted 10 May 2011 , 10:40pm
post #5 of 6

I have made similar trees with just fondant. Shape the fondant into a cone shape. Sometimes I put a stick up the middle so they are easier to hold. Then I use a tiny curved tip scissors, push into the fondant and start snipping at the top and working my way around.

Googla Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 8:44pm
post #6 of 6

Just found this link for a way to make "realistic" looking trees and bushes. Seems pretty cool and easy. I may give it a try on a "Tangled" cake I'm doing soon!

Quote by @%username% on %date%