Piping Gel?

Decorating By vgereis Updated 3 Feb 2015 , 12:15pm by ice21

vgereis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgereis Posted 10 May 2011 , 9:35pm
post #1 of 15

Hi all!

I just watched a video (think it's a Wilton one) on youtube... and it shows how to make a pond/watering hole effect on a cake. The lady said you mix coloring with "piping gel".... and that it was a "sugar water" type solution.... does anybody know what this is? I doubt highly that I'd be able to find it readymade here in Paris... so wondered if there is any way to make it on my own? I'm making a cake this weekend and thought to include a little pond... and this gel that she used really looks great as water! Any ideas oh wise CC gang? icon_lol.gif

Thanks in advance!

Vicky

14 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 10 May 2011 , 9:39pm
post #2 of 15

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080525235400AAorgPG

That's what I found when I googled it.

I've only bought piping gel personally, so I don't know how the home made recipes compare to it.

Can you get glucose? You can also you it for water.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 10 May 2011 , 9:42pm
post #3 of 15

It's a fairly common item that's found in baking or sugar art supply stores. It's a clear jell substance. With all the wonderful bakers and sugar artists there are in Paris, surely there are specialty stores!

jennajane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennajane Posted 10 May 2011 , 9:45pm
post #4 of 15

I used a recipe for piping gel I found here on CC. http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6998/piping-gel-that-works

You can see the result in the pirate ship cake in my gallery. I colored it blue with gel food color and the put it over blue fondant.

Good luck!

vgereis Posted 10 May 2011 , 9:48pm
post #5 of 15

Thanks for the speedy responses!

I've just come back from one of the big baking stores here... it's the main one... and am pretty sure I can't remember seeing anything like that piping gel.... there are the little tubes of colored gel that you can use to pipe... but not the clear one... so wasn't sure if it's the same thing!

TexasSugar I thinkkkkk I saw glucose there... but not sure... would I just dye that the same way and just pipe/pour it into the area I want to have the pond?

Thanks again!

Vicky

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 10 May 2011 , 9:54pm
post #6 of 15

I use piping gel for the "ice" on these cakes

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1923346

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1924916/1924924

The recipe I use is as follows:

Whisk together 1/3 cup sugar and 1 Tablespoon cornstarch. Gradually add 1/4 cup vinegar, then add 1/4 cup water. Stir till there are no lumps. Stir over medium heat till mixture boils and thickens.

I add the color with the water. It lasts a month or so in the fridge.

The original recipe called for lemon juice in place of the vinegar, but I found that the color would be off. with vinegar the color is much more clear.

vgereis Posted 10 May 2011 , 9:56pm
post #7 of 15

Oh... Jennajane... you and I posted at the same time... so didn't see your response till after! Thanks for yours also! have looked at the recipe and it seems pretty easy to make if I don't find the gel/glucose!

By the way.. your pirate cake is just adorable! And the water effect is really cool! So did you use the light blue fondant and then the dark blue piping gel?

Looks really great... added depth to the water!! Well done!

Thanks again!

Vicky

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 10 May 2011 , 9:57pm
post #8 of 15

The colored piping gels are the same thing as the clear.

And yes you can just color the glucose with your icing colors.

vgereis Posted 10 May 2011 , 10:00pm
post #9 of 15

Cakeyouverymuch... thanks to you too!! Had read in comments about the first gel piping recipe that someone was put off by the lemon flavor from the lemon juice... so it's good to know I can use vinegar too... does it affect the taste at all? And how thick does it get? Do I need to make the icing around it quite "tight" so that it doesn't leak through? Or is it quite thick and just stays put? Am assuming it doesn't need a lotttt of coloring to color it?

thanks again! Love the iced-over pond/lake you did for your cake!! So incredibly cute!

Vicky

vgereis Posted 10 May 2011 , 10:05pm
post #10 of 15

Thanks again TexasSugar!! Very helpful! I have gone on the baking store's website.. and found they do indeed stock glucose... so it's now down to a matter of time... if I have time to go to the store or not before I need to finish this cake!

You guys are so helpful! Thanksss a million!!

Vicky

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 10 May 2011 , 10:05pm
post #11 of 15

I have made the homemade gel and it went runny and seeped into my golf course cake.Luckily it was for my Dad's birthday....Wouldn't make it again!!

vgereis Posted 10 May 2011 , 10:09pm
post #12 of 15

Kiddiekakes... which recipe did you use? eeek! Now am worried! lol!! Love your profile pic btw!! icon_surprised.gif) Thanks for the heads-up! Might try to make it and do a trial run first!

Thanks!

Vicky

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 10 May 2011 , 10:16pm
post #13 of 15

Oh.man I can't remember which recipe but it was for homemade piping gel..I made it with knox gelatine and it looked right so I used it for my ponds on my golf cake.In the morning it all had seeped into the cake..and I did line the ponds with BC first...It was for my Dad's 60th birthday so no big deal I just added more but I wouldn't use it for a customers cake...

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 10 May 2011 , 10:24pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgereis

Cakeyouverymuch... thanks to you too!! Had read in comments about the first gel piping recipe that someone was put off by the lemon flavor from the lemon juice... so it's good to know I can use vinegar too... does it affect the taste at all? And how thick does it get? Do I need to make the icing around it quite "tight" so that it doesn't leak through? Or is it quite thick and just stays put? Am assuming it doesn't need a lotttt of coloring to color it?

thanks again! Love the iced-over pond/lake you did for your cake!! So incredibly cute!

Vicky

I think it tastes quite a bit better than the store bought stuff and prefer it to the lemon. I've never had a complaint about it and I usually ask. It's fairly thick--a little thicker than custard. I've never had an issue with it soaking through the buttercream that I put it on. I don't see how it would soak through a buttercream given the amount of butter in the buttercream. I'd think the butter would provide an adequate barrier, and that has been my experience. A barrier shouldn't be necessary unless you plan on having it a great depth. On the penguin cake I had to pull it down for the waterfall because it didn't run off by itself. I used the cheap grocery store liquid food color and it only took a few drops. HTH

ice21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ice21 Posted 3 Feb 2015 , 12:15pm
post #15 of 15

hello, i have tried the  recipe  with lemon juice it comes great consistency but test a looottt of lemon, and yellowish, with vinegar how is the taste and color?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%