How Do I Make Baby Building Blocks?

Decorating By cakification Updated 15 May 2011 , 2:20pm by cakification

cakification Posted 10 May 2011 , 7:51pm
post #1 of 8

I'm making a two tier baby shower cake, and i want building block to be "tumbling" down the cake. I just don't know how to make the building blocks? Would you make Petit Fours or use RKT, or fondant?? Any advice would be appreciated.

7 replies
pmarks0 Posted 10 May 2011 , 7:53pm
post #2 of 8

I would probably use RKT. You can do them in a pan and then cut them evenly and they'll have straight edges.

cakification Posted 10 May 2011 , 7:58pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks! And hi neighbour, I'm in Oshawa!

For the RKT, so you cover them in BC and Fondant, or just fondant? Ive never used them before.

pmarks0 Posted 10 May 2011 , 8:02pm
post #4 of 8

Do a search for RKT here on CC. There's lots of threads about the best way to do things. I used RKT for a headstone on my tombstone cake. I used buttercream on it and then covered with fondant. If I'd given my self more time, I would have done it a bit differently in that I would have put some of the cereal through a food processor and mixed it in with the marshmallows and the rest of the cereal. It comes out pretty bumpy. I had read that by making it finer, it gives a smoother result. Something like that. You may want to cover it with ganache instead which can dry firm because you'll be able to get that smoother and then cover with fondant. If you do just fondant, you would probably need to do a double layer so you don't get the lumpy bumpy look.

cakification Posted 14 May 2011 , 9:38pm
post #5 of 8

I just had a thought, please let me know what you think.
I have some square Graham crackers, what if I "glue" 6 of them together to form a cube? Would this work? I was thinking maybe I could glue them with RI.. Has anyone done anything like that?

sweettreat101 Posted 15 May 2011 , 10:00am
post #6 of 8

I tried using Royal icing to glue graham crackers together to make a quick gingerbread house and it didn't work very well. They kept breaking. Those darn little marks where you can snap off individual pieces were a pain. I am making blocks for a baby shower cake today but I will be using gumpaste. If you want something edible I would stick with RTK. They do sell 3 D chocolate molds but I didn't have time to place an order. The lady changed the date from Friday to Monday.

esq1031 Posted 15 May 2011 , 11:12am
post #7 of 8

I found this tutorial on youtube a while back. It looks really awesome. Check it out. There are two parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edFVgzGwQb8&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

cakification Posted 15 May 2011 , 2:20pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by esq1031

I found this tutorial on youtube a while back. It looks really awesome. Check it out. There are two parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edFVgzGwQb8&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Fantastic tutorial! Thank you so much! These take a little bit of extra time, but I love how they turn out! Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%