Fresh Flowers On A Wedding Cake

Decorating By MadKat Updated 11 May 2011 , 11:07pm by gigiofknb

MadKat Posted 10 May 2011 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 13

Have a client that wants fresh flowers on her cake and I've never done this before.... Any advice? Could I just cut the stem and attach floral wire and tape them together with floral tape, or will they wilt? HELP!

12 replies
cakegirl1973 Posted 10 May 2011 , 5:22pm
post #2 of 13

I think that it depends on the type of flower as to whether they would wilt. I always have the florist prepare the flowers then I stick them in a posey pick and insert the pick into the cake.

tiggy2 Posted 10 May 2011 , 5:24pm
post #3 of 13

Most flowers are toxic and shouldn't be placed directly on a cake (not to mention the pesticides that are sprayed on flowers). Flowers should also never be inserted directly into a cake. Yes they will probably wilt without some type of water source. I believe Wilton makes water picks for flowers.

carmijok Posted 10 May 2011 , 5:27pm
post #4 of 13

Most florists are used to making toppers for cakes so all you have to do is put it on. Or if you are the one that needs to place the flowers on the cake, they will provide the flowers and usually have them in water so they are fresh before you place them. You can put them in those water picks florists have if they need to be put in the cake. It's something you can discuss with the brides florist or she can.

gigiofknb Posted 11 May 2011 , 4:18am
post #5 of 13

Have the florist do it. I did a wedding last year and I refused to put real flowers on the cake due to the risk of pesticides and chemicals that come with real flowers. Told the bride I dont use real flowers and she had the florist put them on. They stuck the stems in the cake and let it go at that. I still don't think that is a good idea, too much of a risk.

carmijok Posted 11 May 2011 , 6:00am
post #6 of 13

Most flowers aren't 'toxic'. Some are, but you have to eat them to get sick...of course I really haven't seen a lot of people chowing down on poison posies at many wedding receptions.

Also, Florists don't use flowers that are drenched in pesticides-- they don't have bugs on them either. Even if they stand a better chance of getting run down by the wedding limo than getting sick from a piece of cake that a florist's rose has been resting on. Those little vials that hold water will keep them fresh if you must put them in the cake...and (whew) the cake won't be exposed to the stems!

People have been putting flowers on and in wedding cakes since wedding cakes were invented! I'm pretty sure if someone at the reception is leery of flowers they won't eat the cake.

If a bride wants flowers on her cake then she should have flowers on her cake. As a cake designer I would want to be the one to place the flowers on the cake...not the florist, though they should provide them.

I find it interesting that people are so concerned about this issue, yet won't think twice when a bride wants her cake outside for hours where wind, bugs, birds and who-knows-what can infiltrate it. I mean goodness...even a flower could fall on it! icon_surprised.gif

Foxicakes Posted 11 May 2011 , 6:31am
post #7 of 13

@carmijok...LOL! You speak it sister!!

MadKat Posted 11 May 2011 , 8:11pm
post #8 of 13

Thanks everyone.... I was thinking of wrapping the stems with some floral wire and floral tape, so that the actual stem wasn't exposed inside the cake, but I just spoke with the bride and she was planning on getting the flowers from Ace Hardware and just cutting them off the plant! She wants Hydrangeas, which are definitely poisonous if eaten so I'm going to try to convince her to use silk flowers, since you know the flowers will be COVERED in pesticides! Not to mention the bugs that will be hiding in all of those little petals! The last thing I'd want as a guest is to get a piece of cake with a bug making his new home in it!!!! AAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

MadKat Posted 11 May 2011 , 8:25pm
post #9 of 13

Does anyone have any suggestions on where she can order nice silk ones? Wal~Mart wants $10 for one bloom!!!!

nancyg Posted 11 May 2011 , 8:38pm
post #10 of 13

I agree...never ever heard of anyone getting sick form cake period....

JanH Posted 11 May 2011 , 9:09pm
post #12 of 13
gigiofknb Posted 11 May 2011 , 11:07pm
post #13 of 13

"Most flowers aren't 'toxic'. Some are, but you have to eat them to get sick...of course I really haven't seen a lot of people chowing down on poison posies at many wedding receptions."

The only thing I am saying is that yes we have done it for years, but people also used to wash kids mouths out with soap. With ALL the newly man made chemicals in things, I choose not to add to a bride's day. I understand people don't eat the flowers and it is just a preference. You shouldn't be chastized for giving your opinion on a subject.

Have you ever put real lilies on a cake? Let me tell you that the pollen that comes off the flowers do not come off of fondant and makes a mess. Just a preference...that's all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%