Stacking A Cake??????

Decorating By Pieceofcakebyrita Updated 10 May 2011 , 9:18pm by Pieceofcakebyrita

Pieceofcakebyrita Posted 10 May 2011 , 3:26pm
post #1 of 5

Hi, I can make really great cakes by carving and shaping them but I've always struggled with stacking a tiered cake. Does anyone know any tricks to making a well stacked cake and any tricks on making sure the cakes are level????

4 replies
soapy_hopie Posted 10 May 2011 , 3:58pm
post #2 of 5

to stack cakes you need to cut some dowel supports about an inch apart (i use straws that are really wide about 1 cm across) as tall as your bottom tier... and then you use a price of cardboard (that is a little bit smaller then the cake that is to go on top)...in order to get it straight use a cake leveler or a bread knife (on each layer) if your eye is good.....geed luck

cakegirl1973 Posted 10 May 2011 , 4:08pm
post #3 of 5

Sugarshack has a great stacking DVD. It is available @ sugaredproductions.com

Wing-Ding Posted 10 May 2011 , 4:12pm
post #4 of 5

Yes, the dowels. Make sure they are the exact height of the bottom tier, otherwise the tier directly above with look raised or will sink until it hits the dowels. I've learned this that hard way. icon_smile.gif

Do you have one of those levels that has the bubble in it? I use mine all the time to make sure my cakes are level.

Pieceofcakebyrita Posted 10 May 2011 , 9:18pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks everyone, I am definitely going to try the straws and the level!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%