Marble Cake Recipe Needed

Lounge By jess605 Updated 4 Jun 2011 , 7:06am by tryingcake

jess605 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess605 Posted 10 May 2011 , 1:45pm
post #1 of 16

Does anyone have a good marble cake recipe to share? I typically make the WASC cake or a chocolate fudge cake, but lately I've had a lot of requests for marble and so I'm on the search for a delicious marble cake recipe that will hold up for stacking.

THanks!!

15 replies
RobinO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobinO Posted 10 May 2011 , 1:54pm
post #2 of 16

When I do a marble cake, I make my regular Vanilla Butter cake. Then I set aside a cup of that batter and mix in about 1/3 cup of chocolate syrup (like the kind used for making chocolate milk or on ice cream). Once the vanilla batter is in the pan I drizzle the chocolatey batter on top and then swirl with a knife.
I've never made a WASC cake but I don't see why this method wouldn't work as well.

jess605 Posted 10 May 2011 , 1:56pm
post #3 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinO

When I do a marble cake, I make my regular Vanilla Butter cake. Then I set aside a cup of that batter and mix in about 1/3 cup of chocolate syrup (like the kind used for making chocolate milk or on ice cream). Once the vanilla batter is in the pan I drizzle the chocolatey batter on top and then swirl with a knife.
I've never made a WASC cake but I don't see why this method wouldn't work as well.

perfect! I thought about trying this with mixing cocoa into the batter instead of syrup. I'm glad to hear its worked for you! Hopefully someone who uses the WASC recipe will chime in to confirm this will work with that recipe (i can't see why it wouldn't though) icon_smile.gif

annie84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annie84 Posted 10 May 2011 , 2:07pm
post #4 of 16

I use the WASC scratch recipe and mix 3 cups of the batter with 1 cup of melted chocolate chips. I found that when I used cocoa instead, it dried out the cake too much. So I would recommend melted chocolate or chocolate syrup

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 10 May 2011 , 7:09pm
post #5 of 16

I make my yellow WASC batter and reserve about 1 cup/single recipe and then add cocoa powder to taste to that reserved amount.

I find that doing it that way, I'm not adding extra sugar or liquid to the recipe and it all bakes up at the same rate.

Just made one this weekend and it was great.

Rae

angeliaaki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angeliaaki Posted 25 May 2011 , 12:00am
post #6 of 16

would i be able to make batter for a white cake and the batter that i use for chocolate cake and just spoon in each kind of batter?

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 25 May 2011 , 3:39am
post #7 of 16

I make my standard white cake (or a WASC cake) and pour into the cake pan. I then take Hershey's syrup and squirt it directly in to the pan in a zig-zag or circle motion. I then take a knife and gently swirl it in and stop.

Bake as usual. Nope - No problems. People love it. There is no need for all those extra steps.

tryingcake Posted 25 May 2011 , 3:41am
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by angeliaaki

would i be able to make batter for a white cake and the batter that i use for chocolate cake and just spoon in each kind of batter?

Yes, if you need double the batter. I wouldn't spoon. I would just pour them at the same time moving my hands around (crossing over and such) as I did so.

You are making this way too hard on yourself.

jess605 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 1:59am
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingcake

I make my standard white cake (or a WASC cake) and pour into the cake pan. I then take Hershey's syrup and squirt it directly in to the pan in a zig-zag or circle motion. I then take a knife and gently swirl it in and stop.

Bake as usual. Nope - No problems. People love it. There is no need for all those extra steps.

I'm going to try this tonight icon_smile.gif

tryingcake Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 2:38am
post #10 of 16

Let me know how you like it. Someone once asked me where did I come up with this - LOL.. .I guess I just didn't know any better. It's just how I've always done it - I didn't know not to do it this way.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 6:07am
post #11 of 16

Using the same batter and pulling some out is a little safer, as two different batters may not be finished at the same time. Not a big deal, but the faster baking batter may dry out.

tryingcake Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 7:03pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

Using the same batter and pulling some out is a little safer, as two different batters may not be finished at the same time. Not a big deal, but the faster baking batter may dry out.

I make a strawberry-banana swirl with fudge cake - so far so good. About a year ago a customer called and asked if I could do that. I was honest and told him I never had but let's give it a shot. It turned out soooo good. Even I liked it - and I hate banana anything.

I made the separate strawberry cake and banana cake batters as I usually do. Both batters are doctored mixes and have actual fruit and juices in them.

I poured the strawberry in first. I then squirted some liquid Chocolate fudge syrup into it; like a figure 8, maybe. I ran my knife threw it about 4-5 times.

Then I poured the banana mix over that and ran my knife threw again just enough to have a definite mix of flavors but not enough to combine it, again, maybe 5 times or so.

I baked it. I was a little worried. When I removed it from the oven it did look a little weird as it actually did rise differently in areas. But I just leveled it off with my knife (after cooling)- the inside looked like I thought it should, I turned it upside down and drove on. Oh, and it was a neat marbling of pinkish cake with hunks of strawberries and the weird banana cake color.

Now here is where people will call me crazy (as if I'm not already). I didn't taste it at all. I let them taste it first. They loved it. I tried it and it really was good. There were very distinct bites of strawberry and banana - not strawberry-banana, if that makes sense. And it was moist all through.

Anyway, they loved it. I got the job. And I hope I can repeat it for the big day - which is June 25! I think I'll over fill the pan slightly so that I know I have a full 2" cake after cutting the uneven top off.

So - do a test run, of course, but you may be just fine.

scp1127 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 4:29am
post #13 of 16

tryingcake, your bases were similar. Some of mine are not. I see drastic differences in the texture of some of my recipes. And I'm with you on slightly overfilling the pan. I love the way the cakes look.

It is a great moment when an experimental recipe comes together. It kind of makes up for the ones that don't... we've all been there!

I also agree about banana cakes... I never liked them until I started making them. Now I offer a cake, cupcake (different recipe, couldn't leave either out), and a muffin. I've never done a marble though. I did make a banana/chocolate marble brownie... it was one of those that did not turn out well. Not knocking the combination, just my recipe. I was trying to make a less sweet brownie and I went too far.

tryingcake Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 4:45am
post #14 of 16

My point was - don't be afraid to experiment. So many people are afraid to - the waste and all. Well, how can you discover anything or have your very own recipes (even if they are doctored mixes) if you don't experiment and risk a few? i have had more successes than wastes. I would have had zero successes of trying new things if I had depended strictly on the advice of others.

scp1127 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 5:52am
post #15 of 16

tryingcake, I hope you read that I totally agree. I am all for making a recipe your own.

tryingcake Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 7:06am
post #16 of 16

yes, I got it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%