Dyes & Coloring

Decorating By Bri122005 Updated 10 May 2011 , 2:55pm by TexasSugar

Bri122005 Posted 10 May 2011 , 11:58am
post #1 of 4

I have some molding and painting I need to do on several cakes coming up. The powder and paste I'm using right now (wilton & ck) paint stricky and just don't look good. Can anyone tell me what gels, powers, dyes I need to use or what I need to do differently to get nice deep colors for chocolate clay and cake painting. Now, I mix the paste or powder with almond extract to use for painting. I love, love, love molding chocolate, but I've never colored it so that is completely new for me. Really need to get this worked out, and I think it will help my work go to the next level. Thank you so much!!!! You guys have taught me so much, and as someone who iced her first cake ever one year ago this month, I'm honored to be on this forum with you. Hope to one day be as good as ya'll are!

3 replies
cakeandpartygirl Posted 10 May 2011 , 12:44pm
post #2 of 4

For painting on a cake I'd use airbrush colors. As for the streakiness you are probably going over it too many times. I don't know what to tell you as far as coloring modeling chocolate . I hope someone else will help you trouble shoot.

Bri122005 Posted 10 May 2011 , 1:50pm
post #3 of 4

I'm sure you're right about the streaking coming from going over it too much. I can't seem to get the colors dark so I keep going over it trying to darken it up and end up making a mess. I'm going to spend today playing on some peices for a cake this weekend and see if I can improve. I'll have to order the airbrush colors. (I live in the country and can't purchase anywhere around here.) Can anyone tell me if airbrush colors are water based? If they are oil based or something like that I can use them in chocolate clay, right? Thanks again!

TexasSugar Posted 10 May 2011 , 2:55pm
post #4 of 4

When you need darker colors when it comes to painting, paint a coat and let it dry before you come back over it with another coat.

I use airbrush colors for painting, they are probably liquid base. Americolor does make a candy coloring that is oil based so you could use that mixed into your chocolate.

For the molding chocolate, I'd probably look in to cocoa butter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%