Bailey's Irish Cream Imbc?

Lounge By camomama5 Updated 20 Apr 2013 , 5:30am by FromScratchSF

camomama5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
camomama5 Posted 10 May 2011 , 8:31am
post #1 of 13

Anyone ever made Italian Meringue Buttercream with Bailey's Irish Cream? Sounds like it would work but would like to make sure.

12 replies
wiggler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wiggler Posted 10 May 2011 , 9:11pm
post #2 of 13

Bump ! I would love to know too

camomama5 Posted 10 May 2011 , 9:27pm
post #3 of 13

wiggler I will just try it and let you know right here on this thread.

wiggler Posted 10 May 2011 , 9:35pm
post #4 of 13

Please do . I think it could be amazing . Thanks

camomama5 Posted 13 May 2011 , 3:12am
post #5 of 13

got some Bailey's to try for the icing and some whiskey for my creativity..haha.....I'll let you know tomorrow.

wiggler Posted 13 May 2011 , 7:41pm
post #6 of 13

Enjoy ! Cant wait to hear how it comes out . Hopefully without the hangover . If it all goes pear shaped baileys with a drop of brandy in it tastes great , I'd say whiskey would be just as good !

camomama5 Posted 14 May 2011 , 11:31am
post #7 of 13

Wiggler....had to get a 2nd bottle of Bailey's yesterday cause I kept botching it. I don't like to add it straight at the end cause you can still taste the alcohol. Alcohol certainly has it's place! But I don't believe it should taste like alcohol in your cake(icing). So I cooked 1/2 cup of it down (to cook out some of alcohol) at the end and the taste was AMAZING!!!! But I got some sugar crystals in it.....blechhh. Today I will try one last thing ...I will add 1/4 cup to the sugar syrup (boiling) mix (you know for the Italian Meringue Buttercream...thats the base for all my icings)but you can't cook it down to a syrup because it doesn't whip all the way back into the meringue. It has to remain a thick liquid. Then at the end I will do another 1/2 cup cooked down some and add that too. Even yesterday though the taste was OUTSTANDING!! I'll let you know. OH! And just so you know if you decide to try it.....because I was practicing I used the cheap version of Bailey's original. Difference of $15 a bottle here. I didn't think it would matter for practice.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 14 May 2011 , 3:52pm
post #8 of 13

The cheap stuff tastes nothing like Bailey's. I use Bailey's all the time. It is the most favored alcohol I use in baking. The Bailey's is used straight in my recipes. Maybe you just don't like the taste. With the alcohol cooked out, you really only have a latte flavor that you could get with espresso and milk. You may prefer this to Bailey's and it's a lot cheaper. If you sell it as Baileys', the customer will expect the full Bailey's flavor. If it is just for you, then make it any way you want... the beauty of baking.

camomama5 Posted 15 May 2011 , 8:47am
post #9 of 13

Does the Bailey's have more flavor? I worry that my customers will not like the alcohol taste in their icing. I will try the real Bailey's straight as it's not for me. Thanks.

wiggler Posted 15 May 2011 , 10:46am
post #10 of 13

I would go with the straight real bailey's too . If the customer wants bailey's I agreee the would want the full flavour and I have tasted the cheaper versions , yuck ! Cant wait to try it . Thanks for the info . I am going to give it a try icon_smile.gif

arc689 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arc689 Posted 20 Apr 2013 , 12:16am
post #11 of 13

APerhaps using baileys original coffee cream for part of the liquid and some baileys liqueur would be a way to cut some of the alcohol taste.

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 20 Apr 2013 , 4:00am
post #12 of 13

Yes, it is delicious.  Just add it a tablespoon at a time, so you get the taste of it, without the alcohol overpowering the icing.  I never thought of cooking it down, but I do cook down Guinness into a syrup to add to my IMBC for St. Patrick's Day cupcakes, so I guess it would work the same with the Bailey's.

Liz

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 20 Apr 2013 , 5:30am
post #13 of 13

YES!  It's awesome.  I use about 1 cup to a batch of my buttercream.  Or more.  Depends on how strong I want it to taste.  Pour it straight in,

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%