How To Make Cake Flowers That Are Realistic?

Decorating By Nikki1083 Updated 10 May 2011 , 2:37pm by TexasSugar

Nikki1083 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nikki1083 Posted 10 May 2011 , 3:33am
post #1 of 5

Now I make flowers to put on my cakes but I notice that you have to allow them time to dry, when they dry its very hard to put them together because they become hard...now is there a way of making flowers so that they are more like the real thing as oppose to the hard flowers that crack when you put them too close to one another?

4 replies
yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 10 May 2011 , 3:42am
post #2 of 5

There are a TON of flower tutorials here on CC under the How To Forum, I would check those out to start off with. Also, you can look up Jacqueline Butler, she's an AMAZING sugar artist, and she gives classes that you can take. She's got a FB page that you can check out icon_smile.gif

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 10 May 2011 , 10:34am
post #3 of 5

I too find sugar flowers really awkward to arrange. Don't know what the solution is, wish I did. Having small 'filler' flowers helps a bit, but still it's not easy. With this cake here http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1953106 I ended up adding a lot of extra 'fresh' petals in around the pre-made daisies, just to get some soft-petal areas that I could push closer together & close up the gaps a bit. Not a perfect solution though, and it wouldn't really work in a lot of situations. I'm obviously not one of the lucky ones who have the knack for it that's for sure!

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 10 May 2011 , 11:54am
post #4 of 5

That cake is a-mazing, coral. Great job.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 10 May 2011 , 2:37pm
post #5 of 5

Depending on how far your wires go in, I have some some sugar artist (Beth Parvu is an example) that actually put the flowers together while the petals are still soft. Because the wires go in pretty far she is able to shape them into holding the positions she wants.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%