Problem With My Chocolate Ganache ?!

Baking By jem2131 Updated 10 May 2011 , 3:53am by warchild

jem2131 Posted 10 May 2011 , 2:22am
post #1 of 4

hello all,

Ok so i've been making chocolate ganache for a few months now and haven't had any problems with making it..
So today i wanted to make a practice cake just for fun and i wanted to ice my cake with ganache.. I didnt have semisweet chocolate but i had a few bars of bittersweet chocolate.. I decided to give that a shot and use that instead.. but as the chocolate was melting and as i stirred the mixture of chocolate and cream it look like it produced oil ?! it has like a layer of oil on top of the chocolate .. really weird.. does anyone know why this happen.. Is it that i can only use semisweet ? please help.. thanks in advance

3 replies
warchild Posted 10 May 2011 , 3:04am
post #2 of 4

I've used bittersweet as well as bittersweet mixed with semi sweet, so no problem with using bittersweet chocolate for ganache. I'd wager the separating you're experiencing, is from melting your chocolate on too high a heat, or nuked to long in your microwave.

mcaulir Posted 10 May 2011 , 3:20am
post #3 of 4

I've had the same problem a couple of times with dark chocolate (bittersweet?). My theory at the moment is that it has happened when the cream is nearing or past its best buy date.

No idea if that's the case, though. I'd be thrilled if someone knew the answer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%