Military Deployment Idea

Decorating By AMOVERBY Updated 10 May 2011 , 4:02pm by SammieB

AMOVERBY Posted 10 May 2011 , 12:24am
post #1 of 4

So my husband is in his 4th deployment to Afghanistan now. He's going to be missing out on a few celebrations this year. I've seen alot of people sending cakes in jars, etc.... I'm a little worried doing this as it is starting to warm up. I've never tried them, but do you think cake pops would hold up better? I'd be looking to send them in the next month before it gets to hot... If not cake pops, does anyone have any ideas of something cake related I can send? he's been complaining he misses my cakes lol.

3 replies
KristyCakes Posted 10 May 2011 , 2:24am
post #2 of 4

What about decorated cookies? I have found that the mail is very unreliable... so I don't think I'd try cake pops with the buttercream in them. I've had some luck with prepackaged cakes (thanks to the preservatives!) but am sure that won't compare to your homemade goodies. Thank you and your husband for your service to our country!

leafO Posted 10 May 2011 , 2:38am
post #3 of 4

Thank you to you and your husband for your service! Military families make so many sacrifices to protect freedom, thank you!

I recently sent some cookies to my brother in law stationed in Iraq. He said they came through really well. I frosted them in nutella( his favorite) and decorated them on top with the design of his battalion patch made out of fondant.

SammieB Posted 10 May 2011 , 4:02pm
post #4 of 4

Ever since I saw your post yesterday I have been researching this like crazy. I have a brother stationed in Afghanistan right now, and I think the cake in a jar thing is amazing. I honestly don't see any issues with just cake holding up by itself. I can't figure out filling or icing though. Some people say it would be just fine, others say fine if it's not dairy, others say avoid at all cost and ship in a separate container.

I see plenty of cutesy cakes in jars that look like that are just placed in jars and layered, not sealed off quite like using a canning jar.

So I can't decide. Someone mentioned buttercream molding. I've not heard of that being a huge issue. I mean, plenty of people eat leftover cake a week later that has buttercream and it seems to be just fine. So would it being trapped in a jar with moist cake make it do something? Separate, mold, absorb into cake... I can't figure it out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%