Moist Cake

Decorating By Sheryll317 Updated 10 May 2011 , 12:25pm by sugardugar

Sheryll317 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sheryll317 Posted 9 May 2011 , 9:59pm
post #1 of 9

Need help. How do I keep my cakes moist for a day or two? So far every time I bake, I put it wrapped in aluminum foil in the refrigerator then the next day, the cake isn't that moist anymore. I'm not sure if I'm baking it wrong or storing it wrong?

Thank you.

8 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 May 2011 , 10:07pm
post #2 of 9

It could be both. Are you baking from scratch or using a box mix?
Do NOT wrap in foil - always wrap in plastic wrap, then you can use the foil if necessary.
It has been said that putting a cake in the frig will dry it out. If it is only being stored for a day or two it is perfectly fine left on the counter/

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 9 May 2011 , 10:07pm
post #3 of 9

Sheryll,

I see this was answered in another forum. Mods hate duplicate posts, and will probably lock this one down. I see you are new, so no harm done, but just though you should know that posting in several forums is unnecessary, you will generally get detailed answers to your questions in one place.

Good luck, and welcome to CC,

Jen

Sheryll317 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sheryll317 Posted 9 May 2011 , 11:40pm
post #4 of 9

I baked them from scratch. Those that I bake using a cake mix seem to be more moist than those that I bake from scratch. I will try to wrap them in plastic and see the difference. If they're still dry then I guess its my baking that's the problem. icon_smile.gif

Kakeladi & Jen - thanks for the advice.

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 10 May 2011 , 12:34am
post #5 of 9

I always always bake, then cool, then wrap in plastic and foil and freeze for at least a night. It gives my cakes a wonderfully moist quality.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 10 May 2011 , 1:02am
post #6 of 9

What works beautifully for me is to take a length of aluminum foil and (wearing oven gloves) seal the top of the cake pan in foil so that as it cools, any evaporation goes right back into the cake and not into your kitchen. Then once cool, wrap in plastic and put in the fridge. Another thing I've heard that professional bakers do is to take the pans out of the oven and immediately turn them over (to trap the moisture). Hope this helps.

cakification Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakification Posted 10 May 2011 , 3:34am
post #7 of 9

For my non-scratch cakes, iI take my cakes out of the oven and let them sit in their pans for about 10 minutes, then I immediately wrap I'm several layers of plastic wrap and a couple layers of foil, and then pop them straight into the freezer while they are still warm for at least 2 hours. when I'm ready to use them, I just remove them from the freezer and leave them wrapped up sitting on the counter for a few hours until they aren't frozen anymore... Cake stays SO moist! HTH

Rubi032009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rubi032009 Posted 10 May 2011 , 5:32am
post #8 of 9

I keep the cake in the baking pan covered with a clean kitchen towel until next morning(i'm a late night baker lol)...that seems to work!...if it doesn't try disolving 2spoons of sugar in 1cup of water and spray it on the cake...i rather use the syrup from canned fruit(i recomend peaches)...

sugardugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardugar Posted 10 May 2011 , 12:25pm
post #9 of 9

Aluminim foil is not air tight, you should be using three layers (or more if that's what it takes) of plastic wrap. HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%