Mixing Fondants?

Decorating By hellosweetcakes Updated 11 May 2011 , 12:47am by cakegirl1973

hellosweetcakes Posted 9 May 2011 , 7:34pm
post #1 of 4

I just mixed up my first batch of Michele Foster's Updated Fondant. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I did everything right. It's resting now and I hope to use to cover on Thursday.

My questions:

1. I have 2 lbs. virgin white FondX at home and was considering mixing that with the MFF so I can cover all tiers with a consistent color.

Will this work or am I setting myself up for disaster?

2. The single recipe yielded about 4.5 lbs. of MFF. I'm doing a 6/8/10 tiered cake all 4" high. Maybe I don't need to mix the two. Will this be enough MFF?

3 replies
LeeBD Posted 10 May 2011 , 6:35pm
post #2 of 4

You will need about 18 oz to cover 6" round, 24 oz for 8", and 36 oz for 10". Of course depending on how thin you roll it out, could be a little less.

dchockeyguy Posted 10 May 2011 , 7:16pm
post #3 of 4

It does somewhat depend on how thin you roll, as the PP said. However, I know it never takes me 2 lbs to cover an 8" cake. Though I rarely do wedding cakes, so I don't generally do 4" high tiers.

cakegirl1973 Posted 11 May 2011 , 12:47am
post #4 of 4

I would try a small amount of MFF and you Fondex to see how they blend together. That way, if they don't combine well together, you will know and you will not have ruined the entire batch.

Quote by @%username% on %date%