How To Firm Up Marshmallow Fondant...

Baking By adyboo Updated 10 May 2011 , 2:23pm by adyboo

adyboo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adyboo Posted 9 May 2011 , 5:35pm
post #1 of 5

I'm making a cake for my daughter's 1st birthday this week and I'd like to put a #1 standing on top of it. I've made several cakes using marshmallow fondant and it works great for covering and "flat" decorations. However, in the past when I've tried to model it, it started drooping. How do I firm up marshmallow fondant? I've tried adding gumpaste powder without much luck. I've also read to use tylo powder but I have no idea what that is or where to buy it. Is it better to just make it a few days in advance and let it dry out? Help please!!

4 replies
carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 9 May 2011 , 6:03pm
post #2 of 5

Just go buy some Wilton's pre-made gum paste at Michael's with their 40% off coupon and use that. It dries fast and hard and works great for toppers. I've made a '25' and a 'B' and plenty of bows....they worked great.

Reyna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reyna Posted 9 May 2011 , 6:29pm
post #3 of 5

Tylose powder i get mine at cakesbysam.com they ship really fast. it does work really good. I use Modeling Chocolate for most of my decorations works incredibly good! They also sell gumpaste mix its really easy you mix 1 cup with 2 tbsp of water and after i make it than mix it half and half fondant.

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 9 May 2011 , 8:21pm
post #4 of 5

I've never had luck with 50/50 fondant gumpaste. Always still too soft. A 75/25 mix would probably be better, 75 being gumpaste 25 being fondant.

adyboo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adyboo Posted 10 May 2011 , 2:23pm
post #5 of 5

thanks for the advice. i'm feeling a little lazy so i think i'll buy the pre-made gumpaste icon_biggrin.gif duh, why didn't i think of that before?!?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%