Can I Use Modeling Chocolate To Cover A Cake?

Decorating By kjack1973 Updated 11 May 2011 , 1:47am by AngelFood4

kjack1973 Posted 9 May 2011 , 5:01pm
post #1 of 10

I have been asked to do a three tier wedding cake. The customer wants the cake to be very smooth, but does not like rolled fondant. The only way I could think to possibly accomplish this, is to use modeling chocolate. Is this something that can be done? If so where would I start?

Thanks, kjack 1973

9 replies
Coral3 Posted 9 May 2011 , 9:58pm
post #2 of 10

I was just wondering the very same thing yesterday. Am interested to hear what everyone says.

Relznik Posted 9 May 2011 , 10:06pm
post #3 of 10

You can mix modelling chocolate 50/50 with fondant. You get the taste of the chocolate, but the fondant makes it more 'workable'.

jo3d33 Posted 9 May 2011 , 10:14pm
post #4 of 10

I saw an episode of fabulous cakes or something like that where the cake designer only used modeling to cover her cakes. It looked really time consuming since she rolled it out in small pieces and molded them together. So I guess it can be done.

klutzy_baker Posted 9 May 2011 , 10:33pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jo3d33

I saw an episode of fabulous cakes or something like that where the cake designer only used modeling to cover her cakes. It looked really time consuming since she rolled it out in small pieces and molded them together. So I guess it can be done.

I think I saw the same one as you. She did sculptures harvest cake or something? As far as I know, she did everything in modeling chocolate. Her work was really nice.

LeeBD Posted 10 May 2011 , 6:29pm
post #6 of 10

I had seen a cake artist on TV mix fondant with modeling chocolate so I thought I would give it a try. Worked out very well. I would give it a try if I were you. Mix 50/50. Good luck!

CakeCrystal5308 Posted 10 May 2011 , 11:09pm
post #7 of 10

I have covered cakes in modeling chocolate without a problem, you just have to be quick to cover the cake once rolled out as it dries fairly fast. In my gallery there is a 3 tier, slanted cake (pink and white) and that is completely covered in modeling chocolate... just do a trial run with a cake before you confirm to her that you can do it.
On another note, it is possible to get a super smooth all buttercream cake.... just a thought as thats what I always do...

Katiebelle74 Posted 10 May 2011 , 11:21pm
post #8 of 10

50/50 modeling chocolate and fondant is easy to work with and tastes yummy. I too suggest you go that route. It's also easier to eat than straight modeling chocolate I think. I've had clients who say "oh I do not like fondant" I just say chocolate fondant tastes fudge like and delicious, not like plain fondant! My own wedding cake I covered in white chocolate fondant. It was yummy!!!

ashleyandben Posted 11 May 2011 , 1:36am
post #9 of 10

Can you use MMF to mix with modeling chocolate or it is just regular fondant you are using?

AngelFood4 Posted 11 May 2011 , 1:47am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyandben

Can you use MMF to mix with modeling chocolate or it is just regular fondant you are using?

I mix mmf with modeling chocolate and it works perfectly fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%