Delivering My First Wedding Cake. Need Some Help.

Decorating By charlie-cakes Updated 24 May 2011 , 7:56pm by charlie-cakes

charlie-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlie-cakes Posted 9 May 2011 , 4:48pm
post #1 of 16

Im doing my first wedding cake for a friend's wedding on May 21st. It's a 3 tier ivory fondant cake with a navy blue fondant ribbon border and dusted ivory fondant pearls around the border. The cakes are round and 3 layers. Sizes 16, 10 and 6.

I have a few concerns. Should I assemble before I deliver or after. Now I would prefer to deliver it unassembled for fear of something happening to it, and it will be very heavy as well. But my major problem is I usually attach a border after a tiered cake is together. And also I've never attached pearls either. I have the first impressions blue silicone mold. Im curious if I make the pearls ahead of time, dust them and put them in an airtight container. Will they stay somewhat flexible to be able to wrap around the finished cake?

Also the country club where the wedding is being held told the couple that I can deliver the cake the night before. I'm kind of afraid to leave it with them. Has anyone ever delivered a cake the night before?

Any help on my issues would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

15 replies
Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 9 May 2011 , 5:03pm
post #2 of 16

I would NOT deliver the night before that's for sure...too many things could happen. I would deliver the bottom 2 stacked, then put on the third tier when you get there. The pearl border should be o.k if you put them in an airtight baggie or container. I hope you have someone to help you move/lift that thing!!! 16 in round is a HUGE cake icon_cry.gif You can do it. Drive slow and give yourself plenty of time to get there.

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 9 May 2011 , 5:55pm
post #3 of 16

I can't lift a 16" by myself. I would either stack the 10" and 6" together and then plop those on the 16" once at the site or just wait and stack them all at the site.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 May 2011 , 7:47pm
post #4 of 16

I use the blue mold, then re-roll the pearls (just finished doing about 400 of them today). Let them dry then you can put them on at the reception site. it won't take more than ten mintues, if even that.

AnotherCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCaker Posted 9 May 2011 , 7:59pm
post #5 of 16

Wow! Are they parking a bus in all that negative space between the 10 and 16? icon_biggrin.gif

costumeczar Posted 9 May 2011 , 10:33pm
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie-

Wow! Are they parking a bus in all that negative space between the 10 and 16? icon_biggrin.gif

haha! I thought the same thing, but some of my clients like that profile. I'd go taller and more narrow for that many servings, personally.

Wing-Ding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wing-Ding Posted 9 May 2011 , 10:45pm
post #7 of 16

I would assemble on site. I like the idea of stacking the little ones for transit and the larger one is separate. I always have all of mine separated. Give yourself plenty of time for mishaps and such. Never deliver the night before. Who knows what could happen to it overnight!

charlie-cakes Posted 10 May 2011 , 5:53am
post #8 of 16

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions!

I feel more confident now to assemble on site the day of the wedding.

As for the football field between the 10 inch and 16 inch. There will be a large hydrangea placed there and a few more all over. I thought the sizes were weird too. But it makes sense in the photo they gave me to go off of.

Thanks again!

costumeczar Posted 10 May 2011 , 4:54pm
post #9 of 16

Just so you know, hydrangeas are both toxic and real water-suckers, so they wilt really fast. If you're going to use real ones on a cake make sure that you do some kind of a barrier betweent he flowers adn the cake, and never insert the stems into the cake. One of those florist tubes with water in them on each stem will help to keep them loooking good until the cake is cut. Without a water source they'll wilt and the cake-cutting pictures will look bad with saggy flowers all over the cake.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 10 May 2011 , 5:09pm
post #10 of 16

I would be inclined to stack the entire cake on site. Then again, I have never stacked two cakes onto one before, so that prospect would make me nervous. Maybe that's just me...

charlie-cakes Posted 10 May 2011 , 6:20pm
post #11 of 16

I was actually going to use fake hydrangeas. They look just as good. I didnt want real ones to wilt either. Plus I read that most flowers are treated with pesticides and no one wants pesticides near their cake. But I'm a concerned about the fake flowers and how they have the metal inside the stem. Should I wrap them with floral tape just in case?

costumeczar Posted 10 May 2011 , 7:02pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie-cakes

I was actually going to use fake hydrangeas. They look just as good. I didnt want real ones to wilt either. Plus I read that most flowers are treated with pesticides and no one wants pesticides near their cake. But I'm a concerned about the fake flowers and how they have the metal inside the stem. Should I wrap them with floral tape just in case?

I'd just put a glob of icing on the cake and stick the flowers to it. That way you don't have to insert anything into the cake itself. If there's a long stem on the fake flowers you could cut it off with a wire cutter so that just the ball of flowers is left.

charlie-cakes Posted 10 May 2011 , 7:59pm
post #13 of 16

That's a much better idea. Thanks so much!

charlie-cakes Posted 24 May 2011 , 7:36pm
post #14 of 16

I want to thank everyone for their help on this wedding cake. It was a labor of love to say the least. I decided to transport the cakes individually and assemble at the wedding. I also attached the flowers with royal icing as well. The bride and groom loved it as well as all the guests! I posted pictures if any one is interested. Thank you all again!

costumeczar Posted 24 May 2011 , 7:47pm
post #15 of 16

That looks really nice, you did a great job! Is there a story behind the blue lobsters? Or did they just want them to match the color?

charlie-cakes Posted 24 May 2011 , 7:56pm
post #16 of 16

Thank you! When we met to discuss the cake there was a lobster on their invitation. And we were talking about an episode of friends and in the episode Ross and Rachel were each other's lobsters. How lobsters mate for life. And I also had no idea that there were really blue lobsters. So they fit in perfect with the color scheme.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%