Fondant Bead/ball Borders

Decorating By AMOVERBY Updated 10 May 2011 , 2:54am by SarahBeth3

AMOVERBY Posted 9 May 2011 , 4:15pm
post #1 of 11

Can someone please help me and give me some tips on how to do these bead/ball borders. I've been playing around with them and I can't seem to get them the same size or that perfect round shape. I'll be using fondant, also can these be made in advance or is it better to do them at the time of decorations. I'm a newbie so I appreciate and welcome any and all help and/ or criticism. lol

10 replies
jennifercullen Posted 9 May 2011 , 4:30pm
post #2 of 11

I've only done the ball border once last week, I made a ball and then kept it as a kind of template as I made the others I measured them up to it and if they were a bit too big I pinched a bit off and rolled it again. It still seemed I had some bigger than others, but its not an exact art. I also felt that they weren't quite round, especially when I had pressed them slightly to stick them to the cake. I don't know about making them in advance, that might he good if they have chance to dry out they may keep their shape better or they might crack when you put them on if it is too forceful.

I just did mine and put them on the cake straight away, I wasn't worried if they weren't perfect because they still had a good effect

Jmlpitbull Posted 9 May 2011 , 4:38pm
post #3 of 11

I roll my fondant out and cut out circles with a cutter. Then I roll those into balls, that way they are all the same size! Make them ahead of time, then just put them on when you are ready.

cakeyouverymuch Posted 9 May 2011 , 4:43pm
post #4 of 11

Roll your fondant to an even thickness. Use a round cutter to cut out circles (I use the large end of an icing tip, or the regular end of an 808 tip). If your fondant is rolled evenly they will all be exactly the same amount of fondant. Then roll your circles into balls. Easy peasy! HTH.

cakeyouverymuch Posted 9 May 2011 , 4:46pm
post #5 of 11

First roll your fondant to an even thickness. Cut out circles using any round cutter in an appropriate size. I usually use the larger end of an icing tip or the regular end of an 808 tip. Then roll your circles into balls. If your fondant is rolled to an even thickness you should wind up with balls that are all exactly the same size.

cakeyouverymuch Posted 9 May 2011 , 4:47pm
post #6 of 11

First roll your fondant to an even thickness. Cut out circles using any round cutter in an appropriate size. I usually use the larger end of an icing tip or the regular end of an 808 tip. Then roll your circles into balls. If your fondant is rolled to an even thickness you should wind up with balls that are all exactly the same size.

cakeyouverymuch Posted 9 May 2011 , 4:48pm
post #7 of 11

Sorry for the repeat posts. I kept getting an error notice and thought it wasn't going through.

AMOVERBY Posted 9 May 2011 , 5:44pm
post #8 of 11

thanks everyone, I'll definately be trying out the cutter method, that didn't even occur to me as a solution, lol.
icon_lol.gif

Dayti Posted 9 May 2011 , 7:37pm
post #9 of 11

I roll out a long sausage slightly thicker than the diameter of the balls I need. I mark equal lines on it, then cut a few and roll them and put them in a bowl. Cut more, roll, in the bowl. I swirl the bowl around every time I put more in in case they stick to each other. Don't try and cut too may at once or they will dry out and be hard to roll.
You can make them ahead of time, and they won't squish when you apply them to your cake. I find the easiest way to apply is with a thinly piped line of royal icing around the cake, if you have it to hand. Otherwise, water, vodka or gum glue works too.

HamSquad Posted 10 May 2011 , 2:34am
post #10 of 11

Lately, I have been hand rolling fondant then luster dusting then attaching to cake with piping gel. I've also have made them by making my own molds like this:
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1655690.

Like ever one has suggested it all works. The individual rolling to me seem like it takes me too long, but if my fondant won't work in the molds, hand rolling here I come! Hope This Helps. Best Wishes

SarahBeth3 Posted 10 May 2011 , 2:54am
post #11 of 11

Cutting circles from rolled fondant works great, like "cakeyouverymuch" suggested. Another way to do this is to roll out several larger balls, it's easier to tell if they are the same size or not. Then take a butter knife and cut the larger ball in half. Then half those so you have quarters. Next roll the cut pieces into balls and you will have 4 equally sized balls. If you are comfortable enough with this method you can make the larger balls even bigger and get 8 equally sized balls for your border.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%