Fondx Changed Colors!!!!!!!!!

Decorating By HeavenlySweets1226 Updated 13 May 2011 , 6:51pm by cakenovice2010

HeavenlySweets1226 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeavenlySweets1226 Posted 9 May 2011 , 3:08pm
post #1 of 21

I colored the Fondx perfectly to match the lavender roses on the cake! IT TURNED BLUE!!!!! It's done this twice when i tried to color it purple! WHAT IS THIS!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone else had this problem?

20 replies
cakification Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakification Posted 9 May 2011 , 3:19pm
post #2 of 21

I don't think it's your fondant, it's your colours. What kind of colour are you using?

Most colours with purple/red undertones will fade or change colours, especially if they are left in direct sunlight/artificial light.

There is a certain brand of colour that doesn't generally fade, but i can't remember off the top of my head what that colour is, I hope someone else is able to help you!!

Periperi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Periperi Posted 9 May 2011 , 3:34pm
post #3 of 21

I too have had that happen. I made my daughter a purple fondant cake and by the next day it turned blue in weird patches. I used the Wilton gel colors. I would love to know of a brand that doesn't change.

HeavenlySweets1226 Posted 9 May 2011 , 7:43pm
post #4 of 21

Yes I used wilton gel colors also. I just got off the phone with the company that makes Fondx and he said the same thing about the sunlight, he recommended using dusting powder and airbrushing the color on and said this is more stable. I don't know about this b/c my first wedding was a cake that I made purple flowers to go on it and the flowers fine. This is the first time i've had this problem.

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 9 May 2011 , 8:02pm
post #5 of 21

Try using Chefmaster or AmeriColor gel colors, I believe both companies make no-fade colors....

sweetnessx3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetnessx3 Posted 9 May 2011 , 11:11pm
post #6 of 21

I had this happen also icon_sad.gif later learned to use Americolors , NO fade purple .

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 10 May 2011 , 4:14am
post #7 of 21

I asked at my local cake supply shop and they've never heard of a no fade purple in any brand. They've been in the biz forever.

sweetnessx3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetnessx3 Posted 10 May 2011 , 11:28am
post #8 of 21

You may have to order it . I get mine from Sugar Art, Nicholas Lodge store in Atlanta. Global Sugar art may carry it also .

HeavenlySweets1226 Posted 10 May 2011 , 5:23pm
post #9 of 21

Hmmm ok that's good to know. Thanks all.

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 10 May 2011 , 5:31pm
post #10 of 21

Americolors are the only colors I've heard of that are no-fail. Wilton seems to be 90% fail. LOL

KSMill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSMill Posted 10 May 2011 , 5:46pm
post #11 of 21

I almost always use Crystal Colors powdered colors and get great lasting colors.

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 10 May 2011 , 6:13pm
post #12 of 21

Americolor will fade.... its rare... but i have had that happen a few times

DaniNicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaniNicole Posted 10 May 2011 , 7:34pm
post #13 of 21

I have heard that mixing Crystal Colors with Americolors, gets a great color, that doesn't seem to fade...I haven't tried it...

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 11 May 2011 , 11:54am
post #14 of 21

I know so many people swear by Americolor, but to be honest their purples fade woefully every time I use them. I have three different shades of Americolor purple and they all fade...and not just slightly, they fade a LOT. I'd suggest you try the powder colour option, general consensus is that they're much more fade-resistant.

HeavenlySweets1226 Posted 11 May 2011 , 12:47pm
post #15 of 21

Thanks for all of your responses, do you order the crystal powder colors online? I've never used them and are unfamiliar. How do you color the fondant, just put some powder on it and knead it as usual?

Monirr04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monirr04 Posted 11 May 2011 , 12:56pm
post #16 of 21

I was told once to make a purple that doesnt fade add pink (or red) to it first. It will help it keep its purple color longer. There was a post on it a while back where some of the "Cake Goddesses" were talking about it. I'll try to find it and share the link.

Good luck!

HeavenlySweets1226 Posted 13 May 2011 , 4:43pm
post #17 of 21

wonderful thx

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 13 May 2011 , 5:07pm
post #18 of 21

I've actually never had a problem with colors fading. I usually use Americolor, and FondX.

The only time a color "fades" is when certain colors leak, over time, onto the saran wrap I wrap leftover colors in. But not on a cake.

cakenovice2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenovice2010 Posted 13 May 2011 , 5:47pm
post #19 of 21

Sugarcraft Gel colour in Grape is perfect and will colour any fondant purple without fading. Their gel colours are pretty awesome.

Also make sure that you don't use Wilton purple, it always turns blue on other fondants. Doesn't matter what you do. And Fondx can't be coloured with airbrush colours (you can airbrush it but don't try to use that colour to colour the fondant if that makes sense?)

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 13 May 2011 , 5:58pm
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral3

I know so many people swear by Americolor, but to be honest their purples fade woefully every time I use them.

Me too! The whole reason I bought the (big) bottles of Americolor was because most people swear by them. The only purply colour I have that has never faded or turned blue is Grape Violet by Sugarflair.

cakenovice2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenovice2010 Posted 13 May 2011 , 6:51pm
post #21 of 21

Oh my goodness, why in the world is a brand name blocked on here?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%