Storing Baked Cakes

Decorating By mitzi229 Updated 11 May 2011 , 1:38am by bakingkat

mitzi229 Posted 9 May 2011 , 1:46pm
post #1 of 12

Hi I was wondering if anyone knows how far in advance I can bake and store my layers. I have a communion cake this weekend and I wanted to bake the layers ahead of time. Also do I cover them and leave them out or do I refridgerate them? Also if I make the buttercream should I leave it in a conatiner at room temp or refridgerate that as well. Cake is for this sunday planning on making the icing tues or wed,.This is the most confusing to me. icon_sad.gif

11 replies
ConfectionsCC Posted 9 May 2011 , 2:04pm
post #2 of 12

You can do it several different ways. You can bake now, and freeze the layers individually wrapped, or, go ahead and fill them and wrap the entire cake and freeze. I would not decorate it until after you have brought it back out of the freeze and given it time to sweet and come to room temp. (I thaw mine over night in the fridge, then wait at least an hour the next morning to come to room temp before decorating) I never crumb coat mine before freezing either. I like to make sure all settling has occurred so I dont waste a single ounce of BC! Most BC recipes should be fine for a few days at room temp, so long as its covered well. I like mine to taste fresh, so I refrigerate it until several hours before its needed again. Freeze if longer than 5 days or so. HTH!!

jennifercullen Posted 9 May 2011 , 2:37pm
post #3 of 12

Last week I had 2 cakes to do for the weekend and didn't have time to rush around so I baked one on the Tuesday, I buttercreamed it on the Wednesday and also put my fondant on that day. (it could have done with a nights rest before fondant to be honest) I would say you could get your buttercream ready today I usually keep mine in a tub in the refrigerator then leave it out to come back to room temp about 2 hours before I use it. If you are making fondant you could also make that today. I try to leave the cake as late as I can if there are other jobs to do, but The cake I baked on the Tuesday for the Saturday was fine when eaten. I kept it in the fridge covered though most of the time. Hope this ramble helps....

Vanessa7 Posted 9 May 2011 , 2:59pm
post #4 of 12

I usually do all my baking on the weekend before and freeze the individual layers. I wrap each layer real good in plastic wrap and then aluminum foil. Freezing it also makes the cakes more moist. icon_smile.gif The bc is made 2 - 3 days ahead of time and put in the frig until the day I plan on assembling the cake. I pull out the cakes and bc that morning and allow them to come to room temperature and then assemble. I've never had any problems. Hope that helps!

nickollette Posted 9 May 2011 , 3:15pm
post #5 of 12

I experimented with a few ways. The one I found works best for me is to bake the cakes (usually no more than a week in advance) and wrap it in parchment and cover with cling wrap. Then I would stick it in the freezer until I was ready to decorate. I usually take the cake out and do the base icing and then move it to the refrigerator for a day to set and then decorate the rest. As for finished cakes, I'll box them and refrigerate them until they're ready to be delivered. The timeline I use usually has a finished cake in my refrigerator for a day or two.

nickollette Posted 9 May 2011 , 3:16pm
post #6 of 12

I experimented with a few ways. The one I found works best for me is to bake the cakes (usually no more than a week in advance) and wrap it in parchment and cover with cling wrap. Then I would stick it in the freezer until I was ready to decorate. I usually take the cake out and do the base icing and then move it to the refrigerator for a day to set and then decorate the rest. As for finished cakes, I'll box them and refrigerate them until they're ready to be delivered. The timeline I use usually has a finished cake in my refrigerator for a day or two.

nickollette Posted 9 May 2011 , 3:17pm
post #7 of 12

nickollette Posted 9 May 2011 , 3:17pm
post #8 of 12

jennifercullen Posted 9 May 2011 , 3:52pm
post #9 of 12

Last week I had 2 cakes to do for the weekend and didn't have time to rush around so I baked one on the Tuesday, I buttercreamed it on the Wednesday and also put my fondant on that day. (it could have done with a nights rest before fondant to be honest) I would say you could get your buttercream ready today I usually keep mine in a tub in the refrigerator then leave it out to come back to room temp about 2 hours before I use it. If you are making fondant you could also make that today. I try to leave the cake as late as I can if there are other jobs to do, but The cake I baked on the Tuesday for the Saturday was fine when eaten. I kept it in the fridge covered though most of the time. Hope this ramble helps....

mitzi229 Posted 9 May 2011 , 4:28pm
post #10 of 12

Thanks so much.

mitzi229 Posted 11 May 2011 , 1:12am
post #11 of 12

One more questio( might sound dumb) Today is tuesday too tired tonight, baking tomorrow wed for cakes due sunday.
If I bake on wed can I leave them out and covered or should I refridgerate them? Dont think I need to freeze them. Making my icing on thursday. confusing because I have 3 due on sunday. I plan to complete one friday night and the other 2 sat . Any advice would be great.Thanks

bakingkat Posted 11 May 2011 , 1:38am
post #12 of 12

I would still freeze them. It locks in the moisture and guarantees a moist cake. Just like everyone else says, just let it come to room temp before frosting so you don't get sweating issues.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%