Can Venues Be Trusted?

Decorating By MaTwosey Updated 10 May 2011 , 3:24am by BlakesCakes

MaTwosey Posted 9 May 2011 , 1:31pm
post #1 of 6

I delivered a communion cake at 11:45am for a 2pm party. The first thing the hostess did when I delivered the cake was take the bag of chocolate pops and put them on top of the box. I immediately told her to put nothing on TOP of a cake box, but checked it and it was fine.

The mom just sent me a photo of her son with the cake and there is a HUGE crack down the middle of it (it's a book cake) like they took it out of the box and didn't support the bottom???? Would you do that? just lift a cake without putting a hand under it? Looks like they almost lost half the cake to the floor!

This is the second time I've delivered to a venue and the second time the cake was damaged. (First time, they broke the topper) WTF?!! Is it because it wasn't their baker? I'm so glad I took a picture when I delivered it but it still doesn't change the fact that this little boy had a damaged cake for his pictures.

icon_mad.gif

5 replies
ConfectionsCC Posted 9 May 2011 , 2:11pm
post #2 of 6

nope, i do not trust anyone with my cakes! They didn't make it, so really they dont give a S*(* about it!! I always set my cakes up MYSELF and if they don't have the table ready, i just say, "ok, well I will wait here while you go get it ready so I can leave." Yep. Did that last weekend actually with a wedding cake! The venue was like oh, we can set it on this table then when we have the cake table set up we can just move it. HELL NO!! I waited for them to set the table, then waited for the florist to arrive with the topper she made and waited and watched her set it up! I am not rude, don't get me wrong...but I make it clear that I know I am the one responsible, and I will make sure my end is going to be perfect! No one else is allowed to carry my cake or supplies I bring too...just me or an assistant I bring!

cakegirl1973 Posted 9 May 2011 , 2:18pm
post #3 of 6

Actually, I think that a lot of people do not have common sense when it comes to cakes. I have had people pick-up cakes from the sides of the cake box while leaving the bottom unsupported, stack cake boxes one on top of the other, and try to put a cake in the trunk of their car when it was 90 degrees outside. That is why I now anticipate that the average person do not know these things, so I tell them and I provide written instructions.

leah_s Posted 9 May 2011 , 2:36pm
post #4 of 6

ditto confectionscc. You simply DO NOT hand over your cake to someone else.

MaTwosey Posted 9 May 2011 , 8:25pm
post #5 of 6

wow. I'm just so frustrated. In both cases they try to pass it off like they received it that way. That's why I take a photo when delivering, but still, it's not fair to the people receiving the cake either.

BlakesCakes Posted 10 May 2011 , 3:24am
post #6 of 6

No one cares about a cake the same way the baker/decorator does.

I deliver all of my cakes and I tell people that I will deliver no more than 1 hour before the event begins "so that the cake can be placed at it's FINAL location". I take photos, too, and when I can, I talk directly to the person who will be cutting the cake. When I leave, I know I've done my best....and that's all I can do.

On Sat., I walked into a venue with a cake 15 inches wide and 32 inches long. I'd guess that with decos & the board, it weighed over 30 lbs. I had told the event organizer that it would require a table at least 24x36 inches. When I arrived, I was directed to a 4 ft. tall, 3 ft. round cocktail table that wobbled when you breathed on it.....I refused to place the cake until another, RECTANGULAR table was set up & draped.

I'm sorry that someone clearly didn't appreciate your work enough to take good care of it.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%